I think my WD 2000JB is dying...

JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Well this WD 2000JB is my storage drive, so i dont access it much... but when i do, the drive spins up and clicks, explorer shows the contents, then the whole computer freezes with the hard drive access light on... Its only happened in the last few days.. sigh -_-;; anybody have any ideas? do i need to RMA this thing? or what? its a primary slave on my A7N8X-E Dlx...

Comments

• edited August 2004
    Yep. Sounds like it's going through the death throes of a hard drive.

Try Western Digital's diagnostic programs to check your hard drive, if it can. Else, get it RMA'd.
  • edited August 2004
    Yeah, do like skeptic said and go d/l and run WD's diagnostic tools and check your drive out. Also, back up everything you need to on that drive before it totally croaks.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2004
    Ack the diagnostic took says its fine.. now the HDD light is on all the time =/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Did you run the extended test, or just the basic?
    edited August 2004
    both.. buyt i've found the culprit heh
    stupid nVidia nForce2 driver installed an Nvidia IDE driver.. i removed that and everything works ok now.. for now...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Uh, YEAH, that DOES make sense for a WD drive. The Nvidia IDE driver can do that, those drives CAN slow down if told to. Probably the Nvidia driver wanted it to run in UDMA\ATA 66 mode, and it happily obliged-- Windows was WAITING for the drive, then bombing it with access request repeats when it was slow.... In fact, if you stuck a 40 conductor cable on it, and not a 80-conductor cable, it should be running at 1\3 speed max in a true EIDE mode equivalent to ATA\33. So, if its REAL slow, get an 80-conductor EIDE\ATA 66\100\133 cable for it. It will happily work MUCH faster. Maxtors have to be SET that way, but WDs talk to controller on Mobo and agree on speed-- and switch to real slow mode if they have an older IDE cable stuck into them instead of an ATA cable.
    edited August 2004
    i have a rounded ata-133 cable on there....