Folding is sleeping

DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
edited August 2004 in Folding@Home
For the last couple of days, 1 of my computers has had Folding start "sleeping" (their term).
It keeps downloading the 1.65 Gromacs core, but then says Core outdated.
For some reason, it cannot find the correct core, tries to dounload it, can't find it, does this 5 times, then says it is going to sleep for 1 day, then try again.
The log file says to stop Folding and restart it, which I have done several times, tried rebooting, same thing all over again.
Fianlly got it to run a WU. Finished it, sent it back, and then went looking for the correct core again. Keeps saying the core is outdated

Anybody know what I can do to help this computer find the correct core?
Thanks;
Dragstk

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Uhhh maybe replace the client? Thats the best fix I know of. Thats what I would try anyway. Of if you have a known good version of the core someplace else that you could copy over.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Um, if you have the -advmethods flag on, you might have gotten a BETA WU with a need for a Beta Core included in WU. BUT, if you are not beta folding, the core might simply not be available. What WU\Project number is this??? One fix, which will loose you part of a WU, is to do this:

Delete everything in the Work directory.

In the main folding directory, delete these two files:

Queue.dat
    Unitinfo.txt

LEAVE everything else alone. This will not hurt your server points, will use the same client. I fixed one of your exact scenarios HERE EXACTLY that way, got a different WU from a different server, that was more than 30 days ago. And client and core sets are STILL working fine.

queue.dat causes a reload of the same WU as before if the assignment server is still handy. unitinfo tells the client what Wu to ask for again if it fails and does not complete. IF that does not work, then definitely get a new client, but also wipe Queue.dat and let client rebuild a new one for you.

One other cause of this that has come up is that Queue.dat can get corrupted occassionally. THAT can cause wierd things. Every once in awhile, like once a month, part of my maint is to wipe Queue.dat and leave EVERYTHING else there. Client rebuilds\recreates it from scratch, and goes onward.

This will NOT hurt stats other than time to download and recreate things deleted, or lose part of a WU production if you have to wipe WORK subdirectory for Folding client. One toehr thing I have noted in XP client is this. About 2-3 months ago, I had this exact same thing happen. Finally, and it was four days before I discovered this had even happened, the client just grabbed a new WU itself, same kind and it was a Tinker, and used same client and core. In process of cleaning up after itself, Queue.dat and unitinfo.txt got replaced. Silly thing self-recovered. Yeah, its been doced to folding admins directly, BUT I could not tell them what project due to the lack of a project detail line showing start point info for project and run, gen, etc data.
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited August 2004
    Thanks guys;
    I replaced the Gromacs core. Restarted Folding, and it downloaded 1.67 Gromacs core. Then it started working. It's now running a 1301 (and taking about 20 min. a step). So, if it starts finding outdated cores, I'll start trying your suggestions.
    Thanks again;
    Dragstk
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Dragstk wrote:
    Thanks guys;
    I replaced the Gromacs core. Restarted Folding, and it downloaded 1.67 Gromacs core. Then it started working. It's now running a 1301 (and taking about 20 min. a step). So, if it starts finding outdated cores, I'll start trying your suggestions.
    Thanks again;
    Dragstk

Cool, a corrupt core can do that too, happy it was that simple. I've got two boxes here that have been or are working on 1301s also. Time is about 16.05-17.3 minutes per percent\frame, 1000 steps per percent\frame here.