FAH 5.00 is out....

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Folding@Home
here it is for those who want it...I'm running it now but havent looked at it long enough to see if it faster or whatnot

http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

RECENT CHANGES (Client):

5.00:
- Collection server support. If a client finishes a work unit from
a Work server with this feature enabled, then if 2 upload
attempts to that server fail, the client will return to the
work unit to a Collection server. Pending credit will be given
for the unit, becoming final when the Work server comes back up
and verifies what the Collection server has received. All work
servers will eventually be associated with a Collection server,
and many already are.
- Configuration option to allow downloads and uploads greater
than 5 MB in size, which some new projects will require due
to the size of what they are simulating.
- G@H configuration option reworded to be "No deadline" option.
- Print executable name and launch directory to log.
- Fix for bug where queue slot could get stuck "Fetching"
- MyFolding links updated.
- Configuration option to pause work when the computer is using
battery power (for laptops).
- Behavior in response to a shutdown or logoff of the system should be
improved (exiting nicely).
- Console: Built in service installation support through Configuration, to
have the program automatically begin at machine startup. If one wishes, the
service can be further configured and interacted with through the Services
tool (GUI) that can be accessed through the Windows Settings (under
Administrative Tools in 2000/NT). The Sc command line tool may also be used.
There are known issues with the Net tool.
- GUI: Larger window size and more informative display.
- GUI: Screensaver configuration option.
- GUI: Print a message to FAHlog.txt when ask to network.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    - Configuration option to pause work when the computer is using
    battery power (for laptops).

WoOhOo
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Coool.
  • edited August 2004
    that is great. is that for the console version as well or just the gui version? the "office" has a lot of laptops that I haven't touched because of the battery. this could potentially add tremendously to my production

KingFish
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Does anyone know if there could be a way to make the service/program stop when a certain program(s) is started and restart when the program is closed? I used to have F@H set as a service but I game alot, it screws up my performance and I usually forget to start it up when I finish playing.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Damn, I am seriously slacking. I havent been by the Community at all while it was being beta tested. I feel bad for it too.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    that is great. is that for the console version as well or just the gui version? the "office" has a lot of laptops that I haven't touched because of the battery. this could potentially add tremendously to my production

KingFish

Just tested with my laptop, and it's an option in the console and works pretty well. There is a delay before it detects being plugged or unplugged, not terribly substantial though.
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited August 2004
    GCAT wrote:
    Console: Built in service installation support through Configuration, to
    have the program automatically begin at machine startup. If one wishes, the
    service can be further configured and interacted with through the Services
    tool (GUI) that can be accessed through the Windows Settings (under
    Administrative Tools in 2000/NT

This will make life a little easier for some :thumbsup:
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited August 2004
    So does that mean that i don't have to use firedeamon to ran fah as a service.
  • edited August 2004
    I've been beta testing it for about a month now (console version) and I haven't had any particular problems with it. It doesn't fold any faster than v4 in my experience, but does allow you to specify big wu units, which are now being released to the -advmethods switch. These are wu's that have a much larger footprint in both download and upload bandwidth, as well as a much larger memory footprint. I've seen typical memory usage of 150 MB running the big wu's. I believe that Stanford has set a minimum memory requirement of >240 MB ram for the v5 client and I think it's set for >500 MB for a v4 client to draw one of these big wu's. The big wu's have also been set to give 15% more points than a normal wu to compensate for the increased memory usage and bandwdth usage.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    dayum, nothing about SSE2 folding for A64 cpus?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Will machines running 4.0 (or 3.24) not get the new larger wus?
    If so I need to leave some boxes that don't have network access running old versions. I am not sure that I want to be send/rcv big units across a modem. Right now a send/rcv runs about 10 min.
    Though if it is more points maybe it wouldn't be so bad.....
  • edited August 2004
    AFAIK, version 3.24 or version 3.25 will not get these larger wu's. Version 4 will get them with more than 500 MB ram, but not less than that amount. Version 5 can get them if they have more than 240 MB ram and (I think) large wu's selected in setup.

From what I've seen, the average download is around 4 MB and the uploads seem to run in the 3-4 MB range with them.

Citrix, I haven't seen anything new as far as SSE2 work lately.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    edcentric wrote:
    Will machines running 4.0 (or 3.24) not get the new larger wus?
    If so I need to leave some boxes that don't have network access running old versions. I am not sure that I want to be send/rcv big units across a modem. Right now a send/rcv runs about 10 min.
    Though if it is more points maybe it wouldn't be so bad.....
    The 5.0 client will ask during config setup if you want the large wu's ...by default the answer is no so you pretty much have to tell it to receive them.
    edited August 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    So does that mean that i don't have to use firedeamon to ran fah as a service.

you don't need firedeamon or any other 3rd party file to run 5.0 client as a service any more.
    edited August 2004
    PressX wrote:
    This will make life a little easier for some :thumbsup:
    very very easy indeed!
    When you invoke the service it puts a -svcstart flag in your registry. To add more flags all I did was do a search thru the registry for -svcstart and I put flags after it.

Like ...

-svcstart -forceasm -advmethods ...and so forth ...close registry and restart client and viola! :thumbsup:
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    \\hk_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\fah@c:+f2h500-console.exe

should be there, edit the image path.
    edited August 2004
    citrixmeta wrote:
    \\hk_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\fah@c:+f2h500-console.exe

should be there, edit the image path.
    thanks ...I couldn't think of it and was in a hurry!

summer finals suck even from my end of the stick :thumbsup: !
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2004
    Wow the upgrade was quicker than I thought! The whole thing took under 10 minutes, and adding it as a service (both clients) was much easier than using the instsrv/srvany package.

I opened up EMIII expecting it not to work, but the banner up at the top informed me of the 2.6.6 update! That went very well! Everything went smoothly, and 10 minutes later, I'm up and folding again. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2004
    One thing to mention is that it is BEST to start from scratch. Some people say the new version messes up the queue.dat file. To wait for a WU to finish and wipe the folder.
  • edited August 2004
    This has made life easier for me too. Instead of a five minute service install it's only around a minute now, if that. I tested the laptop battery feature and can say it works and works well. There is a little bit of a lag (15-30 seconds or so) but it's not substantial at all. The fact that the feature is there changes the game quite a bit for me. This echoes EMT's prior post about it (thanks EMT). I haven't had any experience with the large wu's yet.

KingFish
    edited August 2004
    I have one and the points are nice, 150mb of RAM for a Gro. 1300 for a 1.95 GHz Athlon.