RAM Socket Faulty

MadasafishMadasafish Aylesbury (UK)
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I have had a problem with memory or I think its to do with memory?
The PC has a VIA motherboard with two memory sockets.
Capatability of taking 2GB of memory.
It originally had a 128MB module fitted. It then was upgraded with another 256MB module which seemed to work fine for a while but then started to
lock up. The original OS was Win98SE, I formatted the HDD and installed
Win2000 Pro on it which worked fine, but the PC kept locking up.
I then removed the old 128MB module leaving just the 256MB. The PC seemed to run OK. Then as soon as put the old 128MB back in the PC locked up straight away. I removed it again and everything was OK. I put it down to a faulty memory module plus they weren't a matched pair. I have just purchased another 256MB module and installed it everything seemed fine for a while but it has now started to lock up again but only when I go on the internet, which seems very strange. Could it be a faulty memory slot on the motherboard or something else.
Can anyone help me out. Thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Are they the same brand AND speed of memory? Intuition says no, but I could be wrong.
  • MadasafishMadasafish Aylesbury (UK)
    edited August 2004
    They are not the same brand but I'm sure they are the same speed.
    Unfortunetly the PC is my bother in laws so I can't pop open the case and double check, I know the new module I purchased is from kingston and is 256MB PC2100 184pin dimm which is what the motherboard states to use.
    If they are different speeds will this be the problem??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Actually, mixing brands is one of the worst things you can do for memory and the stability of your PC.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    memtest
    Run a check and see if it really is the memory.
    You might poke around in the bios for memory settings. Maybe going to more conservitive setting will improve stability enough for things to work.