Missing Explorer Button Icons

EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
A friend of mine is having a problem that stumps me.

Recently he lost his icons (the buttons) off his explorer window. He was just using AIM and noticed a shift in an explorer window, and checked to find the icons gone - like they disappeared in front of his eyes! (this may not quite be the case, but he wasn't doing anything funny at the time)

He got frustrated and, neither of us being able to fix it, logged off and back on. But... there were still no icons. A desperate reboot and no change.. it's looking pretty permanent.

More info:
IE buttons are fine (they retain icons)
View -> Toolbars -> Customize...
- Text options had to be set to "Show text labels" or you can't see nearly anything (you can press what little there is, though)
- Changing the Icon options (the only choices are Small and Large) does nothing
- No icons show up here (you would see them next to their names)
I haven't yet found where the icons are stored. I didn't find them as resources in explorer.exe but otherwise my search hasn't been too thorough because I don't know where to look

We both use Windows 2000.

And pics (it will make more sense with these I hope):

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    I found this:
    re: Windows explorer menu
    I fixed it by opening it up and then hitting f11 and then alt-f (trying to pull down the file menu). It gave me an error message and then shut down. When I pulled it back up, it was in an odd configuration, but the file, edit, etc. was there and I just needed to unlock the toolbars (by right clicking in the toolbar area and unchecking that option).

it came from here.

Prof

(Great pictures - this time they really were worth a thousand words:cool: )

EDIT: found this, too.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Hey Prof, thanks for looking!

Neither of them worked though. The first sounds like it's for the menu bar instead of the toolbar ("Standard Buttons" bar, whatever) & the second is for file icons. (But we did try both)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    ...but one thing you might try is using TweakUI (make sure you get the version for your flavor of windows).

There is a "Repair" section; one of the options is "Rebuild Icons". It sounds like they either got corrupted, or a registry glitch has deleted or misdirected the reference to where they are stored.

Good Luck!:cool:

Prof