AMD's front side bus

metomeyametomeya New
edited August 2004 in Hardware
So whats the FSB of the best athlon?

Intel's is 800mhz right?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Best out there for Intel is 800, yes-- in nine to ten months, Intel will have a 1066 FSB available for it. BUT, what you will have to do to get it is going to be expensive for over year.

I will tell you I have a P4 Prescott with the whole box OC'd to about 223X4 FSB now, that is almost 900 FSB (892, exactly). Opterons have the fastest FSB for AMD, and they take advantage, in the most robust boards, of 4 processer pipes per CPU and can on some Tyan boards have 4 such running at once. There, actual calc is spread though multiple FSB channels and CPUs on board-- and multiple RAM groups, by CPU. AMD is further ahead on multiple processors and FSB channels, Intel on pure FSB per CPU pipe right now. Slightly different overall design strategies. AMD comes out better for some server uses due to the multiple FSB channeling and multiple CPUs and multiple RAM banks, one set of RAM banks per CPU.

That begs the question, what do you want ultra-max umph\POWER FOR??? Answer that, and se can HELP. But FSB is not by itself ultimate determinator of umph any more. For some things a dual opteron board would give you more umph than a normal user would ever need. For others, a next gen Intel chip might. I'm happy with a 3 GHz Prescott-HT chip now. Others are happy with Opteron servers, which is what Folding's fastest servers (at Stanford) ARE right now. So, if you do not mind, unless I gave you what you seem to be getting at wanting to know possibly with that question, lets look at what you want to do most and then get some educated opinions.

AFAIK, for Athlon family right now, 533 is FASTEST effective OC'd FSB. I'll let Thrax correct me if wrong, quite happily, then I will know better also.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    For an Athlon XP, the default fastest FSB is 400MHz.

For an Athlon 64, that gets a little hard to discern, but I think it's 1000MHz on the LDT Bus.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I thought the bus was 800MHz dual pumped for an effective 1600MHz FSB for the Athlon64.
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited August 2004
    i thought athlon 64 has no FSB since there is no northbridge or maybe that was another chip, and just at the speed of the ram, anyways

so 64 is the best chip you can get, but you need special OS (like windows 64) and 64 won't always have the driver support you need for your graphics card right?

so the athlon xp is the best for right now, that won't have any problems right?

so what is the best athlon xp and how does it compare to the best intel chip out there?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    metomeya wrote:
    so 64 is the best chip you can get, but you need special OS (like windows 64) and 64 won't always have the driver support you need for your graphics card right?

Not true. The Athlon64 will run 32bit software no problem, and run it very fast. I'd say the Ath64 is the "best" platform right now for enthusiast use.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    This has become even less clear with the new 925 mobo chipset from Intel. It is of no help right now, but you can see where they are headed. It uses DDR2 memory which makes up for slower speeds with great bandwidth. And some of it is very fast.
    Even with that said, today and for the fall anyway, AMD is in the lead. The mobos and cpus are proving to be very stable. And the prices are about a wash.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    Best is kinda hard to say. Depending on your use, 64 might be the way to go. Personally, I like the whole OC'd Athlon idea. Best also depends on your budget. What are you looking to spend? What are you wanting to do with the system? Answered these questions must be... :cool: