Place your bets!

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited August 2004 in Hardware
So, okay, I recently bought a budget socket A motherboard & a 2000+ to run as a fileserver (and folding box). It's been running for about a week in a crappy old case (no fans) with a very dodgy power supply (the 12v rail was closer to 11v) and last night when I got home it had turned itself off.... I was remote desktopped onto it at the time it shutdown, so the last temperature reading was still showing on my screen (CPU-64, case-58) but the machine was dead. So I tried turning it back on.... no joy, nothing happened. The LAN port is still showing it's link light, so there is still some life but hitting the power button raised no response (I haven't tried a magic packet wake on LAN yet). Unfortunately I didn't get chance to do anything more.... so here's the fun part: When I get home from work I'm gonna crack the case open and see what happened, you get to bet on which part of the PC died. ah, just remembered... I didn't have a PIV 4 pin connector when I built this PC, so I had to sellotape some 12v / ground rail wires into the socket, I guess that might have worked loose... anyway, place your bets :)

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    PSU asplode is pretty likely. That's also a pretty high CPU temp, IMHO.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I'm gonna go with motherboard. I'd say mobo killed by craptacular PSU
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited August 2004
    Well, survey said: PSU Asplode..... damn thing just completely died, so now I'm onto my second craptastic PSU... a generic 235w Jobby. Probably won't last long, but I can't afford a new one til the end of the month :(
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    PSU to tha mutha. That'll do it every time!