ULTRA brand DDR

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
This is on sale at Tigerdirect for $60 after rebate. It's 512mb pc3200. Is ULTRA memory any good?

Linkage

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Rebates are evil, esp from tigerdirect.

Its prolly good enough for a FAH machine.
  • edited August 2004
    If I remember correctly ULTRA uses Elixer ram chips on their stuff, I in all honesty would advise to give it a very wide berth as I've seen Elixer chips have well over a 70% washout rate.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I've asked and asked over the past couple of years, both here and on other computer forums like [H]/OCC/OCCC/etc. I've seen very little feedback and what I have seen has been negative. To repeat an oft used cliche, if a deal appears too good to be true it probably is. I have passed and recommend you do same.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Yeah I dont think they have anything worth while with a rebate on Tigerdirect. Get some Buffalo sticks from newegg for cheap if you want any.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    ULTRA products, while I'll probably be flamed off my ass, aren't all that bad. Honestly. It's el-cheapo, yes, but it's semi-decent quality el cheapo. If you want something to overclock like mad, don't go the off-brand route. If you're looking for something that runs decent with decent latencies at default speed, and maybe a little higher, sure. Be warned, though, even my Corsair Value I used to have got around 90 errors in MemTest. Odd thing is, it never, ever showed it. Ran like a champ at 229 FSB for months. So it's your call.
  • edited August 2004
    If it's got Elixer chips...here's my story and I'm stickin' to it; We got a batch of ram (I believe it was ULTRA) with Elixer chips and we put a stick into a new machine and it fubared the OS load, well everything else checked out ok so I pulled the ram, put it on a bench mobo and started running B.I.T. Tech Pro and it flooded the screen with errors upon starting the extended ram testing.
    I pulled another stick to find it had the same results. All in all after 3 hours of testing out of 50 sticks we'd recieved I culled 34 and there were 10 that had been sold before I could get my grubby little mits on them for testing, out of those 5 came back.
    I stand by my assesment of avoiding anything with Elixer branded chips just out of previous bad experiences.
    Elixer may have just had an off product cycle but I'd rather not find out personally by trusting another of their products, I'd rather avoid it and just look for a different brand with a better rep.
    Just my 2¢ worth
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Thanks for the advice guys. What I'm looking for is something that will reach the advertised speed (I've had bad experiences with RAM that won't even run at spec. speed), and maybe 10-20% more. Doesn't sound like this is what I'm looking for :D