System fan socket in mobo?????

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Something that has confused me for sometime is: What/which is the "System Fan". Most mobo's we use have a "CPU fan", "Aux fan" and "System fan" sockets. Cpu is easy. Plug in CPU fan. Which fan is supposed to be the system fan? Our new Abit IS10 mobo has all 3. Plugged in Cpu fan. PSU has a 3-pin plug and this went into the system fan (monitor or controller?). The case front fan i put into the aux socket.

Now, the cpu and sytem give a reading of fan speed in the bios. The aux does not. So i changed the PSU to aux and the front case fan to System socket. Now the system gives a "0" reading for fan speed in the bios and the aux works.

Quite frankly, i'm lost. Case has 1x 120mm fan in front, 1x 120mm fan in the rear. Psu has 2 fans and cpu 1 as per factory standard. I'm sure there is a simple explanation. To me, i can't work it out.

If anyone can explain the basics, i'll be all ears as i really would like to know. Especially as this Prescott "Appears to be running quite hot".

Sandra and the bios give conflicting readings. Sandra's readings are much higher then the bios. I prefer to believe which ever gives the highest readings to keep me on my toes and not become complacent. This way i try harder to get the temps down.

Thanks in advance. Hope my explanation was not too confusing as i know what i meant, lol. :)

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    I would guess a system fan would be any fan in your computer not on the CPU. Like a front intake or rear exhaust.

I wouldnt worry about which one goes where or what they are called. And software readings like that are sometimes quite wrong so dont worry about the RPM readings either.
  • edited August 2004
    What fan you plug into the "system" fan socket usually depends on the number of fans you have and how close the fan leads are to the sockets.
    I've seen the "system" socket on the rear top portion of most mobos and I have used it for the rear case fan and usually there's a socket in the lower front of the mobo that says "case fan" and I'll use it for intake duties and on some mobos there's even a socket that's listed as "power" and I'll plug the RPM monitoring lead from my PSU in there if it has one.
    Right now on this particular setup I have the PSU monitoring lead plugged into the "cpu" socket just so that any monitoring proggy I use won't go berserk telling me my CPU fan has failed as I don't really use one and my case fans and heat-exchanger fan are all running off a rheobus. I have been too lazy to route the RPM leads to the various sockets to just keep and eye on what the fans are doing, I just use the led's in the rhrobus to let me know the fan's spinning.