NF7-S and the optical output

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been asked in here already, but I've searched through about 40 pages and I haven't found it yet. Here's my thing.

I have an ABIT NF7-S on a computer I just built and as anybody who has one has noticed, it has an optical out port. I have a Sony MZ-N1 as well, which is a minidisc player, and it came with an optical cable as well. From what I understand, optical transfer speeds are faster than normal USB and what have you, so I'd like to try to record to my minidisc using the optical output. Can anybody tell me how I can do that? If I plug the device in, nothing happens and nothing is recognized. No new drives show up or anything. I know that the optical is functioning because if I take the plug out of the minidisc, I can see the light coming out of the end. Is there anything that anybody can tell me? Some program that I need to transfer files? Can I not do what I'm attempting?

Thanks everybody.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Your NF7-S and your MD player are both equipped with Toslink optical outputs, which output sound information from the digital encoders on the computer or transmit the already-encoded information from the MD's. Unless you're listening to an AC3-encoded signal (surround sound), it's probably outputting 48KHz PCM audio that something with an optical input (like a nice sound card or surround sound receiver) can play back or record for you.

Toslink isn't like fiber networking, which is just Ethernet over fiber (as opposed to Ethernet over twisted pair, Ethernet over coaxial cable, or Ethernet over air). Think of it as being a really nice way to hook up your computer or MD player to your stereo.

-drasnor :fold:
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I see.... my massive CD changer and my DVD player have optical outs on them as well. So if I really wanted to use those, I'd have to be getting a receiver with plenty of optical input jacks.

Thanks, Drasnor. Saved me a bit of time and frustration...
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    It's what we're here for!

On a side note: if you're in the market for a surround sound receiver, make sure you get one that can handle all the formats you plan to use. Most receivers nowadays will handle Dolby AC3, DTS, and 48KHz PCM no problem. You'll have to look for one that takes 96KHz PCM if you plan to use that, though odds are if you've never heard of it then you won't be using it.

-drasnor :fold: