*NEW* AMD64 3200+ lockups help!

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Alright to tell you the truth this is the first time i switched over to AMD expecting to have a good fast system instead i get stuck with literrally lockups every 2 mins. Now i am not genius in computers but that's not normal.
Mind you i bought this yesterday....
Here are my system specs:
AMD64 3200+
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
OCZ PC3500 enhanced
Radeon 9700 pro
Audigy 2
WinXP sp1
ANTEC slient case(380PSU, original fan(says it can support up to 3ghz man who sold me system assured me it would have no problem running the board+cpu)
I have tried everything resting the bios to default changing settings..putting cool&quiet options on and off...nothing. I originally thought it was heat related...(cpu running at 50C w/ original heat sink) but after reading some stuff i figure 50c is normal.

I don't even know what to do. OH yeah when FASTTRACK BIOS version xxxx tries to scan for new IDE components it says none found and on the same line it says...BIOS NOT INSTALLED... even though i can access the bios no problem.

Please help i am short of ideas and only possible solution is just to return it as a defective item...

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2004
    The fastrack message relates to not finding any drives so it doent install the boot bios. Nothing to do with you accessing the bios.

You say it locks every couple minutes? Sitting in the bios or in windows or what? If its in windows check the event log for starters.

Tex
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited August 2004
    as for most of it.. I cant be much assistance other than if you can get booted into dos, run memtest on your memory.

As for the fasttrack bios not found, thats normal when the controller does not see any hard drives. Im guessing there that your drives are jumpered wrong. What type of drives do you have? I know with Western Digital I have had to move the jumper across the bottom row over the master slave pins.

Gobbles
  • edited August 2004
    Tex wrote:
    The fastrack message relates to not finding any drives so it doent install the boot bios. Nothing to do with you accessing the bios.

You say it locks every couple minutes? Sitting in the bios or in windows or what? If its in windows check the event log for starters.

Tex

Thanks for the amazingly quick reply, alright sorry like i said i am not computer genius but how do you check logs .. oh and it freezes in windows only perhaps it could be win related. I did have to uninstall sp2 after i realized it was the RC2 version and it ended up not being compatible to the onboard lan card hence i couldn't connect to the internet :banghead:

Oh yeah i have a 160 gig Western digital harddrive 2mb 7200 rpm for ref if that makes a diff ( although i dont think it's hd related since it ran fine on my other system 1.4 p4)
  • edited August 2004
    Gobbles wrote:
    as for most of it.. I cant be much assistance other than if you can get booted into dos, run memtest on your memory.

As for the fasttrack bios not found, thats normal when the controller does not see any hard drives. Im guessing there that your drives are jumpered wrong. What type of drives do you have? I know with Western Digital I have had to move the jumper across the bottom row over the master slave pins.

Gobbles

I figured as much, this as always been a mystery to me how the heck do you boot in dos on winxp??? boot disk?(no diskette right now.. :( )
    Can you do it in the run cmd window?
    edited August 2004
    were the drives on a fasttrack controller on the other system? I dont think your reboot issues are with the drives either but the no bios loaded is. Im guessing that they are jumpered incorrectly. Try jumpering them across the master and slave pins on the bottom row. Bottom row being towards the circut board side...

Gobbles
    edited August 2004
    memtest can run from a boot cd or a floppy...

Primesuspect is your man when it comes to memtest...

Gobbles
  • edited August 2004
    Gobbles wrote:
    were the drives on a fasttrack controller on the other system? I dont think your reboot issues are with the drives either but the no bios loaded is. Im guessing that they are jumpered incorrectly. Try jumpering them across the master and slave pins on the bottom row. Bottom row being towards the circut board side...

Gobbles

You mean like my HD and cd room? I made both of them masters... are you saying i should make one of them a master and the other it's slave? and use the ide connection closet to the circuts? Correct me if i am wrong. Just making sure. Also i am starting to think Microsoft is to blame.. i didn't seem to have any problems before i unintalled sp2... perhaps things went completly loco after that.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2004
    are they on differant channels?

Tex
  • edited August 2004
    Tex wrote:
    are they on differant channels?

Tex

Alright i found out what it is except i don't know how to fix it. Seems like windows got all funky and screwy after the uninstallation of sp2. I tried reinstalling sp2 couldn't get online.. again but my system had 0 lockups.
    Problem with my network is probably lack of compatibalility with the new sp2... perhaps that's why they havn't officially released it? Well anyways, i have been having a bizzarr problem with my boot up sequence. Everything loads up fine but righ before going to the windows logo with the nice shiny loading bars.. i get about 20 seconds of black dos screen and a flashing with line at the top...anyone?

edit: I actually don't know why sp2 doesn't work on my cpu i tried with a different network card so that wasn't the problem...I can actually get a connection and ping in cmd but i can't access website or connect to any programs that require the internet. My local areanetwork at begining was saying that it had no ip address asigned to it.. when assiging some random one i still got no results.. the notice went away but no connectivity.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    No personal experience with this but....didnt the pre-release versions of SP2 do something with the firewall that created internet connection problems? Check the settings on Windows XP's firewall. This could definitely be a false lead, just tryna help.
  • edited August 2004
    keto wrote:
    No personal experience with this but....didnt the pre-release versions of SP2 do something with the firewall that created internet connection problems? Check the settings on Windows XP's firewall. This could definitely be a false lead, just tryna help.

I actually read about that i did disable the firewall .. i dunno maybe a bug and the firewall stays on forever? But anyways it didn't fix my connectivity problems. I was actually talking to a cisco qualified tech about this problem... lol he said thnka you , you saved me. Apprently he was going to install sp2 that night..until he found out all three problems i was having.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Welcome to SM :)

Step 1:

Run memtest to ensure that memory is fine.

If that completes move to:

Step 2:

That ASUS is fussy about memory and it's configuration. How many sticks, what size is each stick and are they matched (if a pair)?

If you have two sticks, remove one and boot into Windows. Still locking up? You have classic memory incompatibility with Athlon 64.

Return memory for refund and buy a different brand. Sadly, a quick look at ASUS website seems to fail in displaying a recommended tested collection memory modules. In this instance try http://www.crucial.com/uk/ballistix/ Crucials new high performance line. They have tested their modules for compatibility (including your board) :)

Step 3:

Go into your BIOS and disable any onboard pheriphals you currently have enabled. Quicker boot :)