Water Cooling set up, help needed bad

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Ok, I need to hook up my water cooling kit, http://www.evercool.com.tw/wc-201_new.htm , I need it ASAP because my client needs it. Anyways, I'm having truble getting the HSF off of my clients graphics card, he dosn't know what kind it is, niether do I, but its realy odd, it has a HSF on top of the GPA with no pins, every guid I have seen has had pins on the HSF, anyways, the dang thing wont come off. Any insite, would be usefull. If your realy dedicated, email me at evergreenterace1 @yahoo.com (no space after the 1) thanks so much guys.

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited August 2004
    What video card is it?
  • edited August 2004
    Sounds like the heatsink is glued onto the gpu on the vid card, from what you are saying. They used to do that with the old school vid cards like the original Radeon lites and old TNT cards. The way I used to removed them invloved a bit of risk as you had to pry the sucker off. I would stick the vid card in a ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer for a few hours to get the glue brittle. Then I would take it out of the freezer and get a piece of plastic like a credit card and put it between the pcb and the edge of the heatsink,then use a butter knife to pry the edge of the heatsink with the butter knife sitting on the plastic to protect the pcb. They would pop off after a bit of prying. I've also heard of people running the vid card hard to heat it up so the glue is kind of soft and prying it off the same way, but I never did it like that.

Whatever way you do it, you will be risking the vid card by prying it off, so make sure your client knows that it involves risk and that if something happens you aren't responsible for damage, since the heatsink is glued on.
  • edited August 2004
    Thanks everyone, I managed to pry it off, this thing was on there realy wierd, the fan was easy to get off, it was just screwd on there, but, the heatsink was in three pieces. I was stumped at first, got it off and everything worked out... Thanks again.

:THE POPA BURR: