Is My HD Pooched??

edited August 2004 in Hardware
I have a HD that is no longer recognised in the BIOS auto detect or manually set. I am just trying to get to work for about 1 hr to get all of the data off of it and onto a new drive, I know better than to think that I can 'save' the one that is not working.

If it is pooched, any ideas on a miracle cure? I have heard of putting it in the freezer for a few minutes and getting a little more time out of it but I don't think that it is even spinning anymore.

I have a similar problem with another drive but I am more certain that it is ****ed. My powersupply surged and the system died. After replacing the HD the system would not boot with that drive connected. Is this one destined for an expensive recovery or a costly loss of data?

Anyhelp is appreciated,

paypwip

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2004
    I'm assuming you have the jumpers correct and you tried obvious stuff like other cables, other power molex's and even another MB right? If its not spinning your talking expensive recovery.

The one outside shot you have is to inspect the pcb board and look for obvious damage. Blown chip or a chip knocked off etc... I've had a buddy thats more skillful with a soldering iron then I am actually repair damaged pcb's a couple times. If its a type of drive you can still find around we have also replaced the whole pcb with one from another drive long enough to recover the data and then returned the pcb to its original drive for example.

If you can get the drive to be recognized by the computer then there is a variety of very good data recovery software availaable that can recover data from a hosed filesystem. But its gotta be spinning up
  • edited August 2004
    I just had a IBM Deathstar 120GXP die on me just like that 2 weeks ago. Luckily there wasn't anything critically important on the POS. It just decided to quit spinning up and had been giving problems for about 3 days before it finally died. No more IBM/Hitachi desktop drives for me; this was the 4th failure of their drives I've had.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2004
    You know its sorta funny but one of the things we all seem to be VERY opiniated about is the brand of HD we will buy or seem to have good luck with. Some guys hate maxtors and I have had unreal luck with them. No failures in the last 4 years and I have run a bunch through here. Next guy says he had four of his own crap out?? Also had good luck on the 120gxp's. Had a couple myself but stick over 20 in clients boxs and no burnouts yet? but the only WD I would buy is a raptor. I replaced five in the last month for customers and I know some of you guys swear by them. I just find it interesting how opinionated we are on our hard drives and what a wildly varying opinion we all seem to have? Don't know if its good and bad "lots" of drives produced or blind luck or what? My scsi drives are more depndable but I have not lost a ide drive personally in like 5 years and I run four or five boxes with multiple ide drives 24/7? I had four 80gb maxtors that used to have one or another drop out of a four drive raid-0 array with a clicking sound from time to time and it varied from one drive to another. Strange as when I low-leveled each drive and got it out of the raid-0 arrays they all have worked flawlessly seperate in differant boxs for 3 years now? I mean PERFECT! And I used 650watt enermax PSU's in the box I had them raided in?

But getting a consensus on what ide drives are better then another seems a purely personal choice. Some of you guys suppport more drives then me anymore I'm sure but I see a pretty wide cros-section of drives fail. My dell disk failures seem very high but their quiet cases offer really crappy airflow is my own 2 cents worth as they have sent a variety of free replacements and usually bigger newer drives but if you factor my time and cost to fix them it wasnt a cheap failure for my customers (mostly big law firms) either.

Tex