Deleting unnecessary display modes from Windows XP

godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Not sure whether to stick this under software or video, but since it's more of a Windows thing than my GFX DDR clock rate, I'm putting it in software...

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of many of the odd resolutions such as 848x480, 1360x768, etc. from Windows XP SP1?

Basically what's happening is that the roughly 2 dozen 16-bit modes are clogging up the menu system on some of my games which leaves me just with the lower 3 resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 848x480) in 32-bit color before the list is truncated. :bawling:

Issues like this don't show up in typical hardware configurations, but when you have a monitor capable of 1920x1440...

Currently using Detonator 43.45 on an ASUS V8200 T2 Deluxe (GF3 Ti200 64MB).

I've noticed this primarily with NFS: High Stakes and NFS: Porsche Unleashed, but the listing might overrun other games as well.

I found the listing in the registry, but it's stored in a different manner than it was in Win9x, and I'm not sure what I can change and what I can't without hosing it. Also, I'm not certain if those entries apply to DirectX at all, since I have noticed in the past that different drivers had different list contents in the programs while the Windows desktop properties always had the same ones.

I did install powerstrip, but I don't see anything on how to delete resolutions... it seems that older versions IIRC had better support for that. :sad2:

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Hi Godzilla,

Do a google after a proggy called Reforce. Very simple and free. Takes care of all the resolution/refresh rate issues on both Nvidia and Ati based videocards.
  • godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
    edited July 2003
    I gave it a try, and unfortunately it didn't work. :scratch:

ReForce did make changes and applied them (double-checked after a reboot just to make sure), but the oddball settings didn't disappear from the Desktop Properties slider, nor did they disappear from the games' listings. :aol:

Incidentally, the official links to ReForce are here:
    http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/ (HTTP 403)
    http://www.geocities.com/greggersuk/refreshforce/ (HTTP 404)

I think my next move will be to try different (hopefully newer) drivers until I find one that doesn't trigger Electronic Arts' "oops-we-never-thought-of-that" bugs. :rolleyes2
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Weird, i will have a closer look when i get home from W later.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    It could be a monitor driver related issue, if you are using a driver specific to your monitor then see if there is an update, if you are just using a generic, i.e Plug and Play Monitor, try changing it to something else, have a fiddle.

Just a thought.

SPINNER