No power-on when ATX12v connected!

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Yesterday, my dad said his computer suddenly shut down by itself. He brought in the computer to my room and I checked it out. I thought it was a power supply failure, so I've replaced the power supply now. But, the computer still doesn't work!

Now I've found that the powersupply does not turn on if the ATX12v plug is connected to the motherboard! If I remove the ATX12v (4-pin) plug, the computer can power-up and fans can spin, etc.

But, the computer needs ATX12v plugged in to work!

help!

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Do you have a multimeters or know someone that does have one. See if you can test the PSU, esp the 12V line. You can test the PSU without the computer by sticking a wire in the green wire and any black wire to ground it.

BY any chance is it a P4 or AMD with what motherboard? Some AMD motherboards have the 4-pin P4 connector but dont need it.
  • edited August 2004
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's a P4 system, running on an Intel D850MV motherboard, I did the green/black paper-clip test and the PSU ran without the ATX12v plug connected to the motherboard.

With the ATX12v plug connected, even the green/black paper-clip test failed; the fans of the powersupply didn't even spin!

I thought over what could be wrong during dinner but I still have no idea at all :S
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Are you able to get a hold of a multimeter? A cheap one isnt that much and its a good tool to have.

Other than checking the voltages, I am not sure what else it could be.

Have you tried checking the 12V line in the BIOS to see if it is close to 12V?
  • edited August 2004
    Marc, he can't even get into bios.

It sounds like some kind of component failure to me; either the motherboard or possibly the proc. If I'm not mistaken, the 12v P4 connector mainly feeds power to the processor on P4 machines.