Pre-Alpha Game Ready

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Internet & Media
http://www.fusion-dm.net/stuff/element_vAlpha.zip

Extract, do the readme, then run around. Nothing much more then that really. Mind you as I mentioned in another thread, the transparency problems on the trees and planet, are beyond my control at the moment. Until my teacher fixes the code for it.

Have fun.. :)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    holy crap dude! you made a game!

Wow.... You're like, on the way to becoming, like.... for real.... :D:D

:thumbsup: excellent work :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Awesome man!!!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    A small bit on teh game... our limit was 20MB for textures, I was on the ball and only used 4.8MB

Our limit on polygons was 30,000... we only used 19,000-20,000

The majority of our class had issues with these limits, we did not... and I am very proud to say that out of I think 5 project groups, ours was the best. Though one was very close, it was some kind of air port... planes and all, pretty good too. I must say though, some in class rewarded me without looking at my the other 2 in my group. Well, I didn't like that cuase one of them did their work and did better than the majority of the class if you ask me, despite him not wanting to have come to this school. Though after I helped him with his stuff(only showing him certain things like how to make an environment map) he started to really enjoy it, and hopefully he will begin to become less dissapointed in paying for this degree. He just seems to have trouble catching on like me during lecture... something this school needs to work on since it is a very HANDS ON thing. If you ask me, we pay as good amount of money, yet ONLY game design students get a damned laptop... WE DIGITAL MEDIA STUDENTS NEED A GOD DAMNED LAPTOP. Not that I am pissed, but I mean it when I say that Lecture time is bad time without a laptop. Digital Media students are more hands on, so watching a lecturer show you how to do something is not going to teach you crap...

I've already tried telling many higher ups that we either need laptops or to get rid of lecture all together and have only labs... I swear this project would have come out 3 times better... we only put in maybe 30 hours of work each. Yet the class is like 96 hours at least... lecture is pretty much waisted, only showing you what you can do, then your left with asking the lab instructors how thehell to do what the lecturer did in class.

get my point?

Anyways, I have a new project in mind, much more advanced with stuff you can actually do, now that I know my way around. I'll build it at home, implement it at school, and hopefully in 2 months have something with maybe 100,000 poly's total. I don't think I'll need that much either.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    OK I am nearing completion of my preproduction peice of my next project... when Iam done I will start modeling. I've decided no screenshots, or anything until the completion of the whole thing in a couple months, maybe less.

But what I will tell you now, and use your imagination... there will be an area, atop of a kind of cliff. You can view down and see a forested valley with a castle, plus a sunset. It will be unrealistic, cuase I want to base it's colors to look like a water colored painting.

That's all till the next time when I post the completed project. ;)
    I am excited! Nothing is holding me back :D
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2004
    omfg d00d thats amazing, are we to shot glitches or just marval at it cuz thats truly awsome
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    You can give me the glitches, though I have no plans on working on that world again at the time being. But it coudl help me in my furture work. I hope to build 2 very different worlds before I leave this school, cuase when I leave, it's more than likely I won't be able to do any more until I work for a gaming company.

Although, I am also looking into a game engine called Torque that would allow me to continue and even have a game that allows you to do things other than walk around. But I just don't have the money right now.

So yeah, shoot me your finds on the game above ;)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2004
    when it reloads it seems to play the reload sound twice
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2004
    Awesome job man...it makes me want to go back to school! Mind you that this stuff below is all constructive criticism....i really think your little alpha game is great! But if i were feeling picky...

-user too short---feels like a midget
    -user jumps too high for his height & the rest of the world---must be like a 10' vertical
    -machine gun doesn't sound like a machine gun, more like a repeating shotgun or a .45
    -i wish there was something to shoot at.......bunny rabbits or something

Overall, i enjoyed running around your world for a few minutes. Would be cool if you could fix the alpha bleed through problem. My favorite little thing is the animation of the user's left arm after a while when he looks at it then shakes it like it is sore from shooting a machine gun. Nice touch!

Keep up the good work!
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    And uh, well, when I start it up, it flashes on and off ... like short, randomly-timed intervals of black....? It won't go away no matter how long I leave it...:-/
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Armo wrote:
    when it reloads it seems to play the reload sound twice

Ahh thanks, I suppose I failed to mention the character is a pre built character. I had plans to build my own charcter, but appearently one month is actually very short, especially with a hurricane that lost me 2 days of work. :zombie:

Though thanks for that input, if you do see something else that may help me in further projects, name them out, I'd appreciate it. :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2004
    Dunno if the trees are supposed to look like this or not. This is what it looks like on a GeForce 2 MX200. I have yet to try it on my 6800 GT.

It'd also be nice if the character would walk a bit faster. Nothing too important righ now, but if you had any plans on some multiplayer/AI, it's something you should keep in mind.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    they look the same for me on a 9500 pro. dude, that's awesome, i hope to remember this moment as the begginings of the next carmack.
  • edited August 2004
    Ok. I thought I might have been missing some textures.

Great jorb, RWB!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    they look the same for me on a 9500 pro. dude, that's awesome, i hope to remember this moment as the begginings of the next carmack.
    Hell yeah! :D

RWB... you know when you want to have fun with something else...

http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/

You download the FULL C/C++ engine source code to Quake II. It's still good code, GPL and the tools are there too to build it and make your own game using the QII engine.

I'l give your game a spin later :cool:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Unfortunatly there is a problem in the code for transparency, I am unsure if it is a texture transparency issue or an alpha of the whole polygon... either way it's a code issue as I mentioned before.

And I'll look into that QII engine, I've had my eye on the Torque Shader engine, but unsure if I want to spend $150 at the moment.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I see the Quake III Game Resource there for download, did you mean that one, or the Quake II version? If so, why Quake II?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    i think he meant q2, not q3, since commercial games are still being made using the q3 engine, whereas i haven't seen o heard of a q2 game released in a long time.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Yep. The Quake II engine is GPL now which means you can download it and build stuff to your hearts content.

It's still a great engine despite it's age and it's free for non-commercial use WITH multi-player support :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2004
    RWB wrote:
    it's more than likely I won't be able to do any more until I work for a gaming company.

Very nice. And when you do work for a gaming company remember, We want to save when WE want to save, none of this checkpoint nonsense.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Very nice. And when you do work for a gaming company remember, We want to save when WE want to save, none of this checkpoint nonsense.

"We want to save when WE want to save, none of this checkpoint nonsense."

I have no idea what that means... :scratch:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2004
    I mean we want f5 quick save. A lot of games now seem to auto save at checkpoints rather than give the player the option to save whenever he wants. I saw a reply by some game manufacturer on some forum that it makes the game more 'interesting',
    no it doesn't.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    I agree!!! Maybe that stems from growing up on Zelda games, but still...:D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I actually agree, and now see what you were saying, SAVED GAMES. I was thinking it had something to do with the price or something I have 100% no controll over ;)

Other then, starting my own game company ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Well it now appears I am rather limited in what I can do, as far as multiplayer, and other aspects that has to actually be coded by hand. I didn't realize how BARE Renderware actually was till now. My teacher has had to code the majority of what we have so far. Like the transparency issues noted before, a HUD, Multiplayer abilities, etc... all that stuff.

From what he said, he doesn't plan on having any multiplayer code finished till Christmas, and I can't put on a HUD till maybe October. Which by then I should be about to leave the school.

So other then a single player, no-HUD, only running around, POSSIBLY interacting with other objects or NPC's even, _this_ game won't be much more then that.

On the buisness of the QII engine, I think I am more willing to dish out $150 for the Torque Shader Engine, and I am in fact thinking of giving it a shot tonight. It does DX9 stuff, plus I believe I get free upgrades and such there-after so it won't be an engine that will be out of date any time soon. ;)

Plus I just got to play with SPEEDTREE, and damn that is a fun program, too bad it's only a demo, I ain't playing $355 for a PLUGIN. Not yet at least... I can still build just as good of trees without any plug-ins.

Anyways, off to have more fun! ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I just bought the engine... I couldn't help it after the information I got about Render Ware, though I will still do this project in RW, I will be working on a side project of a full game for you guys, my clan buddies, and whoever else. But that is now a ways down the road... renderware is more important for my portfolio and showing that I know the engine pretty well. :D

This thread kinda turned out to be more of a BLOG type thing come to think of it, guess I have been a bit over excited ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I just realized I somehow lost this file(possibly from a format). Curious if anyone might still have it.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to individually try over a hundred backup disks and hope it's on one of them. Thanks guys.