looking for instraction/guid to install serialATA 160gb WD

edited September 2004 in Hardware
hi.
im looking for instraction/guid to install serialATA 160gb WD7200.
im gona make a new/fresh winXP install,
and put my mp3/xvid files on my old 40gb ATA WD7200, so i can use them layter on the same mobo.
thenx.

Comments

• mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited August 2004
    Assuming you already have the hard drive installed, the cables connected, and the onboard SATA controller enabled, here are the basics steps to get an SATA is your OS drive with a PATA drive as extra storage.

1. Copy the SATA drivers from the driver CD to a floppy.
    2. Get Western Digital's Data LifeGuard software. It will make a boot disk.
    3. In the BIOS, set the boot devices in this order: CD-ROM, Floppy, and SCSI or SATA. Readin the manual will be helpful in determining how to set up the boot devices.
    4. Boot the floppy disk containing Data LifeGuard. Partition the hard drive. I recommend at least 2 partitions.
    5. Boot from the Windows XP CD. When asked to install 3rd party controller drivers, insert the floppy contain the SATA drivers and hit F6.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen and complete the Windows installation.
  • edited August 2004
    hi thenx man, it soud very easy to do, im gona do it tomorow, and post my resolts. thenx. :)
  • edited August 2004
    mcwc thenx, your guid was grate. :thumbsup:
    only one thing, the old WD 40GB and the LG cdr,
    can't be together on the same IDE cable, only one of them can Identify at atime, i tryed all jumpers setings, and when they finely identifyed togethr, then the PC wan't boot :banghead: ,
    can any one know how to fix it ?
    thenx.
    (the serial ata is very fast :Rocker: , install winXP in 10 min :thumbsup: )
    edited August 2004
    Umm...

I'm stumped on this one. Hopefully some other members can help you on this one.
  • edited August 2004
    mcwc wrote:
    Umm...

I'm stumped on this one. Hopefully some other members can help you on this one.

like allways, it was the drivers problem.
    after i installed the chipset drivers, evry thing is fine,
    the old WD 40GB and the LG cdr,
    can work together on the same IDE cable. :)

thenx.
    edited September 2004
    Glad to hear you got it all working.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2004
    ehhhhh i didnt have to do that did i? i dont remember having to use a floppy heheh
    edited September 2004
    Yes, I copied the SATA drivers from the driver CD to a floppy when I did your system. Same thing with my brother's system. Same BIOS settings to get your 40G Maxtor to work with the SATA drive and to boot off the SATA drive.