Partition a hard drive without reformatting... noob needs help. :)

edited August 2004 in Hardware
I have a nasty little hijacker on my computer that I've been unable to find that has been disconnecting me from the internet at every turn... called the tech support people and their most helpful suggestion was to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything. (ick)

Needless to say, I'm not all that big on the idea mostly because I don't own the disks for my Win 98SE OS. I have a serial # for it on my case but I don't think I'd be able to get it without buying it again (ick).

So I'm hoping I'd be able to partition my hd and try to copy my OS over, or try Linux on the partition and try to resolve my problem that way.

Any help at all would be great!

Terri

Comments

• t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2004
    Try Partition Magic.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    Uh, your best bet is to post in the security thread asking for help. Yes, parition magic is a very nice tool, but, what you're wanting it for doesn't make sense. You want to copy everything over to a different partition? You'd still have the hijacker there...
  • edited August 2004
    I'm trying to copy my OS -only- on the partition (the one I'm trying to make) so I can test if it's a hijacker or a hardware problem, I'm hoping that if its a hijacker they haven't nestled themselves among my OS system files. Its a mess... :/

Terri
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    That's my point - most likely it has :p But, it is worth a shot :thumbsup:. If that's what you want, try Partition Magic
  • edited August 2004
    I'll try what I can... If it is in the system files, It'll be mighty hard to know if its the hardware or not... I might copy (don't laugh) my -mom's- system on to mine, or put Linux on the partition for a second test... :P

Terri