Dual Monitor Gaming?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I'd like to try out a game with dual monitors... how the heck do I set this up? I have dual desktop, and just played a game on one monitor, with TeamSpeak open on the other so I can see who's talking, and if anyone sends me a IM...

So, how do I play a game utilizing both? Using an ATi 9800 Pro

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2004
    Hm... i cant even play a dvd and play battlefiled at the same time... i hear that if you span it over the two monitors, framerates fall through the floor... but if you can get it to work, let me know =D
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    i believ that it's not possible to do so. it had to be coded in. some games take advantage of dual monitors by using one screen for informationa dn the other for the actuall game, but i've never seen a FPS type game spanning across two monitors.
  • edited August 2004
    I've got a dual monitor setup too. I can imagine it being pretty useful for games like FS2004, where you could perhaps have the cockpit view on one screen, and GPS/NAV readout on the other. I can think of loads of examples. I just wish it was supported!! Anyone else know anything about it?
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2004
    Matrox triple head cards are set up for some games and are quite spectacular. Remember...that with just two monitors...the split occurs right where you need to be seeing exactly what you are shooting at.

The rest of the video cards are single monitor only.

More information on
    Matrox Surround Gaming. Just remember that Matrox cards don't deliver the FPS that ATI or NVIDIA cards do.
  • edited August 2004
    What games do support more than one monitor? I Could think of a lot of games which could use two or more (Such as player scores showing up on the secondary in UT2K4, while the game plays on the primary display).

With nearly every gamer card (even not-so-gamer cards) being dual monitor capable, one would think it would actually be put to better use in games.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I saw Quake 3 Arena running on three monitors from a Matrox card at an AMD Tech Tour a couple years ago. Kind of sweet.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2004
    yeah matrox parhelia.. triple monitor gaming* hehe

*not supported by all games....