Wireless NIC + SP2 = no connection

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I updated to SP2 on my system at work and now I have no wireless connection ...the lan connection is still in tact though. It behaves just like when I did the update for the Wi-Fi security - WPA thing which gave the same results so I left it uninstalled.
But now that I updated to SP2 that WPA update isn't available ...which leads me to suspect that the WAP hotfix is built in to SP2 ...in which case I have to clue as how to uninstall only the WPA. So I guess another option is to try and figure out how to enable it.
I use a netgear wg311v2 at my station. All other stations in the lab are linksys 11b and they still have connection ...just not SP2.
I'm not at work now so I can't apply any fixes but first thing monday that is priority #1. It would really really suxor if the rest of the lab automatically downloaded SP2 and died ...folding production would almost come to a screeching halt for me. :mad:

Anyway any help is welcomed!

Thanks
csimon

\edit from the netgear support page ...this is the WAP update I was referring to:

Internet Connection Fails in Windows XP After Installing Microsoft's Hotfix Q815485

Cause

A problem with Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to fail.

Fix

A Microsoft hotfix is a software update they regard as critical. Hotfix Q815485 provided XP users with new Wi-Fi security — WPA. WPA is an advanced wireless security feature introduced in 2003. Unfortunately, whether you use WPA or not, this “fix” from Microsoft can stop wireless drivers to malfunction. This problem affects products from several companies.

Resolve this problem one of three ways, depending on whether you use WPA, and whether your network devices have their own WPA configuration utilities.

When you don't use WPA:
If the hotfix is installed, and it is stopping your connectivity, uninstall the hotfix as described in the section below.

When you use WPA, and some of your network devices do not have their own WPA configuration utilities:
Install the hotfix and use the Windows WPA configuration utility that comes with it.

When you use WPA, and all your network devices have their own configuration utilities:
Install the hotfix, but don't use the Windows WPA configuration utility. Use the network devices own configuration utilities, instead.

To Remove the Hotfix

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
Click Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485.
Click Remove. You may receive a message that some programs may not work if the update is removed. Ignore it, and click Yes to remove the update.
Restart your computer and rerun the Smart Display Setup Wizard.

To Install or Restore the Hotfix

Link to Restore Microsoft Hotfix

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Don't know if it helps any but have you tried the Wireless Network Setup Wizard? Jus guessing, since it's new with SP2.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Don't know if it helps any but have you tried the Wireless Network Setup Wizard? Jus guessing, since it's new with SP2.
    Actually I think we did not sure ...but I still can't connect to the access point from 10' away ...I get the one across the hall but it goes in and out like poor range or something. I'll recheck on monday. Thanks :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    That didn't work but maybe I didn't configure it right. I'll have someone looking over my shoulder maybe tomorrow so will try it again ...and perhaps something else.
    Damn the WAP