XP Pro Install issues

JustinJustin Atlanta
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Installing XP Pro on a new machine and everything boots fine, As I am going through the process, when I get to the screen that asks which drive/partition I want to install to, the whole rig powers down and shuts off. WTF is going on?

Specs:
Athlon XP 1600
Abit VA-10
Centon PC2700
230W PSU (I know, I know)
DVD drive
Radeon 9000 AGP

Any ideas?

Comments

• BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited August 2004
    have you run memtest on your ram. Ive have the worst luck with centon. Id also look in that psu that think is weak Id be worried. Is it at least a name brand or generic?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    ISO Switching Power Suply... Sound generic to me. RAM passes memtest in different system... Trying other RAM now...
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    WOnt even boot when I put 512 of Kingston 2100 in. What now?
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited August 2004
    try testing ram in that system the mobo slots might be acting funny. Also do you have a diff power supply you can drop in there
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    Put in 350W psu and 333 Ram and it still dies at the same spot... There can't be too many other things causing this can there?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    I just put a hard drive in that I installed windows onto with another system. Boots up and runs stable as a rock. WHat could be causing it to die out at the partition selection screen in windows setup?
  • edited August 2004
    I don't know, Justin. My VA10 won't boot at all unless there is a rpm sensor fan on the cpu fan header; that threw me for a loop for a while with my VA10. Also, I've noticed that the VA10 shows cpu temps absurdly high too, so don't freak out if you see idle temps in the 40's and load temps in the 50's.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2004
    maybe the cpu is overheating by the time you get to the partition thing in xp setup. i would double-check the hsf mounting.