Folding suspended (personally)

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2004 in Folding@Home
I've stopped folding on my main rig the past couple days because of the heat here (and lack of AC in the dorms). My system was hitting 65C and higher and the alarm was going off, and then I started getting BSODs. I need to take my computer outside and use a can of air on it and the temp here needs to come down a couple degree before I put F@H back on :( I'm really hurting right now in the points :bawling:

Comments

• edited August 2004
    Well Matt, there's nothing too much you can do about the weather. :bawling:

Maybe you could try setting the client to use only 50-60% instead of 100% of your idle cpu cycles until it cools off some and see how it does.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2004
    My primary is rigged for silent running so its load temps are more like 75c :rarr:;D , but even here in cool old England, I've had to take the side panel of my case to stop it over heating this summer.

The client throttling idea seems like a good one. Just let is cruise at 50% or so and see how it goes. Just keep a fire extinguisher to hand. ;)
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited August 2004
    Where are those weather controls when you need them.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2004
    Sorry to hear that, I can imagine that your not to comfortable either if it's that warm.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I clocked down from 2.5g to 2.3g for the heat of the summer a few months back ...once I found all stable settings I let it run that way and it's been fine all summer long. It's been cooler the past few days so looking forward to more overclocking around october!
    Best of luck keebs! :fold:
  • KingFishKingFish
    checks calendar to make sure it isn't the beginning of April again
    edited August 2004
    checks calendar to make sure it isn't the beginning of April again
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2004
    It is an unfortunate situation beyond anyone's control. All one can do is hope for cooler weather. It can happen to anyone, Matt. Hope things improve for you.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I too had to turn folding off because of the weather and the dorms having no AC.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    * KingFish checks calendar to make sure it isn't the beginning of April again
    Actually, my original title simply read "Folding suspended" and then I though "omg, I better clarify that or I'll get lynched..." ;D

As soon as I get a minute I'll take it outside and clean it... that's just a bit of a job I'm not looking forward to because it weighs a ton and I'm on the third floor with no elevator. As if I wasn't falling fast enough in the ranks already...
  • edited August 2004
    You guys must live in some primitive dorms if they don't have air conditioning. :eek2: I guess you all up there in the great north don't get near the amount of hot weather we do here in the deep south. I really don't know how my Mom and Dad coped with the heat and humidity way back when they grew up, for sure.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    "UP here" it gets in the 80s/90s all the time in the summer. The peak heat has passed tho and it should start too cool down.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited September 2004
    Spinner wrote:
    My primary is rigged for silent running so its load temps are more like 75c

How on earth can it get so hot. :eek2: My rig is set for silence as well and the max temp i've ever gotten was during a heatwave a few weeks ago when the cpu started reaching 55c. It's currently at 52. I know you have a faster cpu but not that much faster.

And keebs yeah you could have choosen a better title. ;D