PC failing?

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hello, I have purchased my PC about a year ago september 30th 2003, from accupc.com and have built it myself. I am knowledgable when it comes to building PC's, less so once they have already been built and start to fail.

It has been working pretty much flawlessly this entire time, until recently it is starting to have lots of issues. I'd be playing a game or just using the computer, and it'd instantly flash to a multi colored hideous screen and drone monotonously in my headsets a staticy sound, forcing me to reset. It's doing this more and more often now, with it occasionally all of a sudden shutting down and not letting me power it back up until a few moments.

This last time, It shut down immediately, despite my tinkering and switching of the power supply switch at the back. The front light still glows faintly, but the PC will not start up anymore. I am suspecting a faulty or bad power supply now, but want to be certain.

Also, to get another power supply, can I buy one and install it? Or do I have to buy a new case?

If specs are relevant, I will post them as best I can... but I don't see how they are relevant here as it was working fine.

The case however is a generic one, 420 watts I believe.

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited August 2004
    Does sound very power-supply related. The power supply and case are separate components which can be switched so you are able to just buy a new power supply to replace the old one. It'd be best if you could test with another power supply before replacing that one.

Could you post you motherboard make and other system components (sound card, video card, cpu and ram) as it *could* be one of those.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2004
    The majority of people here will tell you, get a new good quality PSU from Antec, PC Power & Cooling, etc. I use a generic one now, I know how unstable they can be. This was my mistake building my first system, but now I know to not cheap out on one again.

And no, you don't need a new case to install a psu. :) Good luck! :thumbsup:

-Rick
  • edited August 2004
    Why is it when I check prices for power supplies... power supplies THEMSELVES are more expensive than cases that contain power supplies of equal wattage? Doesn't make sense to me!

HD Hitachi 120 GB ata100 7200rpm
    case 400p4 u2+aud 420 watt max
    MB INTEL 865PERL AUD HT DDR400 (800mhz bus and hyperthreading compatible)
    Pentium 4 2.8cghz 800mhz with hyperthreading
    CD-ROM SONY 52X IDE OEM
    Radeon 9800 pro 128mb
    512mb Corsair PC3200 DDR ram
    A generic soundblaster live sound card
    A pretty basic ethernet card
  • edited August 2004
    Also, the power supply I just took out, has 115 V set. It has the option of setting it to 230 volt too though, but should I not change it to that?

EDIT: I switched out the power supply with an older 350W one so I could test it out... And the PC boots! So I guess it is the power supply. Question is, is the 350W I just put in there far too low to be running all the stuff I have? what do you guys think? Or do I need to spend the money for a 500?
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    350W is fine IF it's a good quality unit. Hard to tell, any name branding on it? A *very general* sign of PSU quality is weight - heavier = better.

"power supplies THEMSELVES are more expensive than cases that contain power supplies of equal wattage? Doesn't make sense to me!"

Actually, it makes perfect sense when you realize that most PSU's that come with cases are total garbage units. You get what you pay for, as a rule, so more $ = better quality and longevity in a PSU.
  • edited August 2004
    What keto's just posted about a lot of power supplies that are included in cases is the gospel truth. Just think about it; a case that costs $50-75 including a psu has to skimp somewheres to make a profit and what better place to skimp than the psu, which isn't made by most case manufacturers anyways.

Back to your question; that 350 watt psu should be enough if it's a decent brand such as Fortron Source, Antec, Sparkle, Enermax or even Thermaltake.

If you are looking for a decent psu and are on a budget, go to Newegg and buy the Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W psu for $38 delivered. I bought one a couple of months ago and it's giving rock solid performance so far. :thumbsup:
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2004
    i have an allied 450 that delivered rock solid performance, although im told (i cant hear) it has started also delivering the whine of its slow demise.

thats a problem with cheap psu units, when they start to die sometimes you cant even tell unless you have fantastic hearing
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2004
    That whine is probably just a cooling fan and is replaceable. If the PS givee good, stable power, then maybe a fan replacement is in order. I had to do it with a 600 watt Powmax where both fans froze solid after only 3 months of work. It's in my rig as I type with new fans on both in and out.

Flint