Unused Icon wizard???

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
How does one tell the Unused Icon Wizard in XP NOT to delete the recycle bin from the desktop??? Even if the Recycle Bin has not been used in two weeks?? I have three clients that call me every other week wanting to know how to put the recycle bin back and how to make it "stay there this time!"

Mine is turned off, but they want the "automatic desktop icon housekeeper" or "desktop vacuum cleaner" to run by itself and turned it on at install time.

Any one who can help will get many thanks from me and my clients.

This is not a flame, just being "driven to climb up the palm trees" by this.:D

Comments

• MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited July 2003
    That sounds more like a hacker is in these systems using the recycle bin as his hiding place for pr0n files or movies and such, but deleting it from the desktop so the user can't see it.

I've heard of the above happening before.

Most user's where I work have that destop cleanup wizard on, but never does their recycle bin get deleted even if they haven't done anything in a few weeks.

Why not just turn it off and see what happens? It may or may not be the problem.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    They could also just clean the desktop manually and put organize it like putting certain type of programs in one folder and the other in another the ones they always use, just leave it on the desktop.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Mancabus-- on my stock XP Pro, the wizard deleted the Recycle Bin icon from desktop twice. I shut off the wizard, no more cleanup of desktop. Recycle Bin stayed where it was supposed to thereafter.

BlackHawk, that is not what they want. they want icons stuck on desktop by what they install that they never use to vanish. EXCEPT for the recycle bin.

On my box, Iinstalled XP Pro, let it run the Unused Icons Wizard and the first thing it killed off was the recycle bin icon on desktop on first boot. I made a shortcut, dragged it back, 2 weeks later it vaporized (still in C, but icon on desktop was gone). The second time, I opened the recycle bin on C, told XP to recover it and it stuck it back on the desktop. This is a fully legal and updated XP Pro. It runs perfectly for me without the wizard, but for the folks who like autocleanup features it kinda looks strange when thier trash can disappears from desktop and they have to go to C and open the recycle bin folder and put it back on desktop every two weeks. Nothing strange in it at all, and the icon does open the true recycle bin.

98 SE does not do this, 2000 does not do this, but Windows XP does on every box where I have let it autoclean icons that are unused. Both home and Pro, on three vendor's boxes that I know of, stock or OEM (have tried both). Two boxes came preloaded with XP, they did it out of box. I figured it was a decent puzzle to "chew on" (aka discuss) with some knowledgeable types.

OT Alert:
    I see you like Firebird, Blackhawk. I like it almost as much as Opera 7.11.
    /OT Alert.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    ...but would your clients be able to handle something like this?

1) Create a text file on the desktop, name it something like "Keep Recycle Bin"
    2) Once a week, open it, close it.
    3) Delete it, then restore it.

If the Icons are being used, they won't be deleted during desktop cleanup, right?

A far more elegant way would be to write a little script and put it in your Scheduled Tasks folder, but I am not the guy to ask about that.:buck:

Prof