I know they're all important but....

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited September 2004 in Folding@Home
I've been getting gromacs for ages. I mean how can I catch eyesonly when I keep getting just gromacs?. I just checked and I now doing a tinker, a 23 point smallest tinker in the known world. I demand tinkers, demand them I say!

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    which client are you running?
    which switches (flags) are you using?

I rarely get gromacs on my xp's and rarely get tinkers on my p4's.

I might be able to help but we may need to reconfigure and change (omit) some flags.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I have machines running with/without almost every flag combination and I cannot get tinkers. Give me a clue.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2004
    If you set bigunits=yes, then you should get some Tinkers.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2004
    About says - Folding@home windows client version 4, built December 8 2003, It's the graphical client. I set -advmethods -forceasm flags on the desktop shortcut but never use it, Folding always runs whenever I start the PC. I have had batchs' of tinkers but for the last few weeks seem to be getting gromacs.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited August 2004
    please help me i'm getting all gromacs as well or accationly a tinker but only small ones. :eek: I'm not using any flags and have enabled large units. what can i do. if i don't get help bothered will bother me again and i just can't stand that. :eek::eek:

Seriously is there anything i can do. Not seing any big points is really depressing.
    edited August 2004
    bothered wrote:
    About says - Folding@home windows client version 4, built December 8 2003, It's the graphical client. I set -advmethods -forceasm flags on the desktop shortcut but never use it, Folding always runs whenever I start the PC. I have had batchs' of tinkers but for the last few weeks seem to be getting gromacs.
    so do you have any idea what makes it run when you start the computer?
    The startup folder perhaps? service?
    edcentric wrote:
    I have machines running with/without almost every flag combination and I cannot get tinkers. Give me a clue.

Acutally the only trick I use is:

-advmethods on p4's
    no flags on xp's

of course f@h puts the service (-svcstart) flag autopmatically now cause I have them set that way thru the v5.02 client so what I'm really talking about is additional flags here.
    t1rhino wrote:
    If you set bigunits=yes, then you should get some Tinkers.

I have bigunits set on all clients.
    edited August 2004
    csimon wrote:
    so do you have any idea what makes it run when you start the computer?
    The startup folder perhaps? service?

Yes, it's in the startup folder. And what is bigunits=yes? Is it something in version 5?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Yes, it's in the startup folder. And what is bigunits=yes? Is it something in version 5?

it tells your client that its okay to download work units that use more than the regular amount of memory, i.e. big units. its a new feature in version 5, and you get a point bonus for doing them. so its all good
    edited August 2004
    Firstly ...there is no way to determine whether you get gromacs or tinkers but I can show you my set up.
    Secondly ...the tinkers I'm getting are small but they go really fast so it's relative.
    Thirdly ...I use the latest client version 5.02 ...5.00 is identical.

I'll describe how I have my setup and you can try it ...you'll more than likely get tinkers. If you want mostly gromacs all you do is add the -admethods flag but I'll describe that if anyone asks. Again ...this is no guaranttee to get one or the other.

Before you start be sure your current client is turned off then delete everything except for the "work" folder and the queue.dat file.

Ok ...start by downloading the FAH5.02-Console.exe into your present Folding@Home folder whatever name it is ...for example d:\F@H

Next ...from the command prompt from within d:\F@H folder run the client with the -configonly flag only ...the client will stop when you're done.

This is how I have my client.cfg setup:

This also sets F@H as a service so just open administrative tools/services and pick FAH@D:+f@H+FAH5.02-Console and choose start and that's it. Choose stop if you ever need to stop the client.
    edited September 2004
    Thanks csimon, I'll have a go at it later.
    edited September 2004
    That request units without deadlines. is it usefull.

BTW b i just got a 400 frame, 242 points tinker. :rarr::fold:
    But look at the time i got it. Midnight! :eek:

And of course a screenie. :D
    edited September 2004
    OK I've done the first bit but this-

Next ...from the command prompt from within d:\F@H folder run the client with the -configonly flag only ...the client will stop when you're done.

I can't\don't know, how to get a command prompt from within folding. I added the flag to the shortcut, I've ran the prog, I see nothing to get to setup. Where do I go?
    edited September 2004
    At the third install I clicked the exe and got all the setup options, but no -configonly to be seen. I set all the options as you suggested except use IE settings, I selected yes. (?)
    I have set it as a service, so far so good. The icon in the system tray has gone though, How can I get that back so I can click display or whatever to see how it's performing?

edit. I've just rebooted and it is running as a service.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2004
    If you have it as a service there will be no icon.
    edited September 2004
    if you got it configured without -configonly thats ok.
    is it running ok so far?
    edited September 2004
    So is the only way to see how it's doing to open the log file?
    csimon, yes it seems to be, if I look at services it's running ok in there.
    edited September 2004
    well to see if it's going you can check task manager ...you can check progress by opening the fahlog.txt.
    there are some small programs that display the contents of the unitinfo.txt to your desktop ...thats what I like to use ...along with EMIII which is really the best IMO.
    edited September 2004
    Next problem,
    I have it all working fine on my PC so I thought I'd do the same on the kids. Installed folding and it's running as a service, so far so good. I installed EM111 into the same folder, just as I did on mine. When I open EM111 it shows no progress, the frames bars both show zero with no times etc displayed. It does show which WU is being worked on but nothing else. I think the install is knackered so want to uninstall it and try again but there doesn't seem to be any uninstall option, not even in add\remove programs.
    edited September 2004
    But there is. run the client with the config flag and when asked to install as service answer no. That will remove it. :thumbsup:

had this problem myself and it took me forever before i figured it out. :banghead: :)
    edited September 2004
    Now when I look at it on my PC the frames bars are also showing nothing. It was working fine until an hour ago, What's happening? On both PCs folding is running but EM111 won't display the progress.
    How did you figure it out eyesonly? What am I doing wrong?
    edited September 2004
    OK, I got it, I have to leave EM open for a few minutes for it to update, D'oh!
    I added the kids PC to it as well so now I can see them both and both seem to be working fine.
    Thanks csimon, Thanks all.
    Edit, Is time per WU on box2 an average or an estimate? I only got it in as a service yesterday so I'm hoping it's an average.
    edited September 2004
    bothered wrote:
    How did you figure it out eyesonly? What am I doing wrong?

I think i found it on stanfords site. Don't remember.

Just do as i said. Run the client you wish to uninstall with the configonly flag. When it asks you if you want to install it as a service just answer no. That will remove the service. :thumbsup:

Edit
    Just checked stanfords site but found nothing. It must have been trial & error then. :D
    edited September 2004
    Both PCs are folding now with no probs but they both seem to be getting low point tinkers. I mean only low point tinkers. The points are adding up but is that all I'll be getting?
    edited September 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Both PCs are folding now with no probs but they both seem to be getting low point tinkers. I mean only low point tinkers. The points are adding up but is that all I'll be getting?
    probably so but that shouldn't matter. tinkers is tinkers ....low points = low folding time - high points = high folding time. so if you average the same amount of points per day it's all relative.
    edited September 2004
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the help csimon.
    edited September 2004
    bothered wrote:
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the help csimon.
    anytime chap! How is your production now??? It should be relatively consistant.
    edited September 2004
    Yeah it's fine. PC2 isn't on 24 hours but it helps.
    edited September 2004
    Looks good from here!