Web page background question

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited September 2004 in Internet & Media
I thinking of a design with a grid background, but if it's viewed at a higher res than what the image actually is, it looks like crap. I want to put a grid background on the whole page but what res should I used so that it doesn't look like bad and the design's grid background matches with the page's background? Don't know if explained well. TIA.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Just use a tiled image.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Doesn't work.
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited September 2004
    try THIS it may give you some inspiration.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    PressX wrote:
    try THIS it may give you some inspiration.
    I already have it worked out but not like I first intended. Let me explain. I made a web page design which has a grid background. It's 1024x768. If it's viewed at a higher resolution, like 1600x1200, the rest of the page doesn't have the grids. I know I can make the background of the page have a grid but when I add the design, the grid background of the design doesn't align with the grid background of the page. Since I didn't get it to work, I just added some black to transparent gradient to the edge of the design. Example.
    edited September 2004
    I see. Try loosing the grid on the design. It will then sit over the webpage with a tiled grid. If you have done it in photoshop with layers, email me the PSD and I will have a go for you.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I am guessing you want the lines of the grid to line up? As thrax said, Tile it. Set your left and top margins to "0" and do it like that.

Or do I not understand your point yet?
    edited September 2004
    Let me see if I can explain better. I wanted the black on the outter edges to also have a grid. The thing is that I can't remove the grid in the design cause it has a shadow and saving it with transparency would make it look crappy. Since I have no idea what size to make the image so that it aligns well with a grid background, I just used the black gradient. IMHO looks pretty good like that.

-edit-
    This is the problem I was/am having.
    edited September 2004
    It does look good. I do see your problem. I thought I may be able to come up with something but I need the PSD to have a go. However, I like it as it is...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I have had similar problems. You could do it the hard way, and pardon me, but it's early so I may misword this or use the wrong technique.

Use javascript to detect the screen resolution, then using that, have it change the css sheets to place the image IN PIXELS where it would need to be at the various screen resolutions.

Or don't use JS, and just find a decent location in PIXELS from the top left... of course then it won't be centered exactly.