Need Help ASAP..

edited September 2004 in Hardware
i've formatted the computer about 3 times and the same problem still happens:
wehn you turn it on it works for about 30 min to an hour and then it will start making a beeping noise (it sounds like someone's screaming) then all of a sudden it restarts and wehn it begins to start up again it says "operating system not found". So i shut it off wehn this happens and you have to wait like 5 min before you can turn it back on again or it will do the same thing again. When you wait about 5 min then it works agian for 30 min to an hour.
Another problem is sometimes it just starts beeping (screaming) and it will just freeze up and i have to shut it down and wait 5 min again.
i thought it was a virus that's why i kept formatting it wehn it would happen again... someone told me that it is a virus and after you format it and when you get updates that the virus comes back on to your computer...

well whatever it is,
if anyone knows anything about this
PLEASE HELP
thank you soo much..

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    First thing that comes to my mind is a faulty hard drive or heat issues. How are the case fans? Are you getting goood airflow in the case? if you can move a case fan right infront of the hardrives where it's sucking air over it then into the case that would be good.

Also you might want to check that the cables on the hardrives are pushed in all the way and maybe try different ata cables.

You can have one bad pin on an ata cable and what it'll do is slowly start currupting the data on the hardware untill the OS will not boot. But since you turn it off for 5 minutes then it'll work for a while sounds to me it cools down then as it warms up it gets faulty. If the harddrive spindle is going bad it'll just get worse as it will get hotter with more friction.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    sounds like it's overheating. what hardware do you have?

mobo cpu ram gpu etc.
  • edited September 2004
    Yes, it sounds like overheating or if it's an older system, it could be symptoms of capacitors failing on the mobo too. Give us some system specs please and maybe how old it is.