Rocketraid 133 problem

OltarOltar Willamette Valley
edited September 2004 in Hardware
Hello. I am having no success setting up a RAID 0 array on a fairly new box. Hardware: ECS N2U400-A mainboard(Nvidia force 2 chipset), Barton 2600, (2) x 256M Kingston matched dual channel DDR, HighPoint RocketRaid 133 PCI controller, (2)x Maxtor 6Y060L0 60 MEG UDMA 133 DRIVES. All hardware except RAID card have been operating w/o problem for several months. RR133 bought on e-bay, flashed to latest BIOS, installed, setup RAID 0 array using onboard BIOS, no fuss. Set up 2 partitions, 40M and 80M, (plan on creating dual boot (98SE, XP Pro) arrangement) using 98SE boot floppy and FDISK. So far so good, can read and write to both partitions in DOS. Attempting to install 98SE, install goes normally for 3-4 minutes, then hangs. Error message Windosw 98 setup caused a GPF in module KRNL.386.EXE at 0001:5b69. Examination of C: directory shows some files and directories have been installed. Several tries, same result. Okay, dump the dual-boot idea, attempt XP Pro install. Mash f6 for SCSI/RAID drivers, install proceeds for a minute and then throws File\i386\NTKRNLMP.EXE could not be loaded error code 7. Dang. I have built 3 office computers using RAID 1 setup (Soyo mobo's w/onboard RAID) and never had any hangups. I suspect: used RR133 controller? It does read and write to the RAID 0 array. Chipset incompatibility? How do mortals figger that one out? Please tell me I could not buy a clue and missed something basic. Or whatever you can.

Comments

• OltarOltar Willamette Valley
    edited September 2004
    In an attempt to determine whether the problem was hardware or software, installed the HPT372a in another motherboard, using different cables and drives, had different symptoms but no success, blue screens. OK, start over. back to the ECS, install one lonely HD to the onboard controller, attempt XP install, again NTKRNLMP yada yada no load. HMMmm? Try another OS, 2000 Pro, same blue screen. Okay, this is hardware issue not related to RAID. So now we're off topic. Reseated memory, no help, cleared CMOS back to defaults (except disabled APIC again) now she runs fine. Reinstalled the RocketRaid controller, built array, format and partition, am now loading 98SE, Looks like a go. Thank you General Keebler for the welcome message, and to all who read the post and did not hazard a guess, I don't blame you. If anyone wants to know more about my troubleshooting technique, search the forum for "blind blundering".
    -Oltar
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Gotta love those self-solving problems :)

Welcome to short-media :D
    edited September 2004
    Maybe the only thing worse than not being able to fix it is not being able to know how you fixed it.
    edited September 2004
    Sorry, I can't tell you any more right now, I've already told you more than I know.