Questions on water cooling

floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
edited September 2004 in Hardware
My XP3200 runs hot, I'm using a Thermalright SLK-800 with a Pabst medium flo fan & Arctic Silver 5 but it's still hitting 61C on full load even with the case side off. Room temps are quite warm. I can't mount a bolt through cooler as this Gigabyte board has no mounting holes.

I discussed this problem with jimborae and others elsewhere, and he recommended the following kit. I have a coupla questions to ask (they're after the pix).

Here's pix of the kit jimborae recommended, I've decided to go with it, though still not entirely sure about the pump:

wc01pump.jpg

wc02block.jpg

wc03rad.jpg

wc04res.jpg

I can mount the pump on the floor of the case; remove the rear exhausting 80mm case fan and fit the radiator there, and I'll have to mount the reservoir externally, probably on the wall on a lift off bracket. I can probably also lose my 80mm case roof fan, leaving just the two x Vantec stealths at the front of the case cooling the pair of Raptors.

That means quiet :)

My questions are: I notice all components have half inch fittings except the reservoir, whic has 10mm fittings. Now, do they mean the internal diameter of the tubing is 10mm and the half inch (12.5mm) tubing will fit as it's external diameter is half inch? Or will I need a couple of adaptors to fit half inch tubing to reservoir?

Also, how do I top the reservoir up? Does it have a filler plug at the top or something?

Is it worth adding any of that anti-fungi/algae additive?

And lastly, is it worth fitting a quiet 120mm fan to the radiator? I think it is, but the blurb on the reservoir says that because of it's design it can enable a system to run fanless.

Any comments/advice gratefully apreciated, as I'm a little nervous about this.

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited September 2004
    Come on guys slate my recommendations! :)

I have actually adivised to fit a fan to the rad as this will provide the main cooling despite the res manufacture's claims. Also bear in mind that quiet cooling at a decent price is the main aim here not ludicrous overclocking hence the pump recommendation.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    I would trade the resevior out for one of these http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9319

That way your system will be compleatly sealed.Once you get the water right it'll pretty much just keep on going.

I'm in the same boat as you sorta going water cooling for the first time. I know I've read time and time again thats the best Water block Bar none. I've been reading that the car heater coils are the best for rads.

This is a great place to read up on water cooling http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Looks like a solid setup, i haven't tested the pump though. I see that many uses Hydor so they can't be bad. The radiator is one of the best 120mm radiators out there. If you buy the cheapest 120mm fan you can find, rip out the motor and the blades so that you only have the frame left. Then mount you real 120mm fan on top of that. A shroud like that helps a lot in both lowering the temps and it also kills the noise.

Do you really need a reservoir? It doesn't help at all once the system is filled and if something, it makes the flow worse. Worse flow= Very often higher temperatures.
    My suggestion is to save that money and buy a videocard waterblock instead.
  • edited September 2004
    It looks good to me too, like Mack say. I haven't used the pump; I'm partial to Eheim myself but the radiator looks good and the waterblock should be excellent. I didn't know that Swiftech even made a waterblock for mounting on the socket clips like that, which is cool. As far as a reservoir is concerned, it may or may not hinder flow rates, depending on the way you have it rigged up, but it isn't absolutely necessary. You can just rig up a burp tube in your cooling loop to fill and maintain the system if you don't have room to mount a reservoir in your case; I'd try to stay away from mounting a reservoir externally.

Another thing to consider is what kind of tubing to use also. I'm using 1/2" silicone in my dually and I've read and also noticed that silicone "loses" volume easier than vinyl tubing, with the water molecules being easier to migrate through it I believe. Nothing that shows as condensation, but you do have to keep an eye on the water level every few months, especially if you go with no reservoir. It is superior to vinyl in kink resistance though. Another good choice for tubing is Eheim's tubing they use in their canister filters. It is a green tinted premium vinyl tubing and isn't as expensive as silicone or tygon, but hold up well. You should be able to find it at a pet shop or online pet supply store. I've heard that the tygon tubing is real good, but expensive, even more expensive than silicone.