Not sure if i lost my files forever or not

edited September 2004 in Hardware
Hey, well, last night i was using windows normally and could access my second hardrive (D:\) and then i shutdown the computer and started windows upa nd now i cant access it.
the bios still recognises it as a 30 gig hardrive (its a western digital by the way). and in my computer it still sais there is a D drive, but when i try to go into it, it freezes for a little bit and comes up with a msg saying "D drive is not formatted, would you liek to formatt it now?"
and i cant get into it at all now, and i really really need the files on it.
im runnning winxp home edition.
anyhtign i can do?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    You need to run Western Digital's diagnostic tool on it.

It can be found here.
  • edited September 2004
    hey,t ahnks heaps, i will use that and tell you if it works. thanks!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    -If you named your HDD, does it still have a name?
    -When you right click on it, and select properties, then go to the security tab, are there still usernames assigned to the drive?
    -When you click advanced, then go to owner, is there still an owner listed?

XP has done this to me twice, at random too. It "Lost" all the permissions and security settings for my primary account. I had to boot into safe mode, log in as the actual administrator account, and reapply my main user account to the owner and user listings.

Check to see if you can add yourself as an owner or as a user. If you can't, boot into safe mode, login as admin, and see if you can add yourself there.