AHhhh!! I have a dead PSU!

aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
edited June 2003 in Hardware
My PSU died!! What's ever shall I do?

Comments

• aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited June 2003
    So much for emergency help. In any case, I think that my PSU is dead. When I press the power button, it comes on for a few seconds, then immediately dies. On one occasion, it lasted for a whole 10 seconds. Other than that, it almost dies immediately. Also, I have to power clear the psu each time after an attempted start up. So, on PSU -> on comp -> comp dies -> power off psu -> start cycle over. Is it my psu, or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

aW
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The only thing you can really do it try another PSU. Try removing all card and drives, just leaving your video card in. Then try re-booting. If that dont work, then see if there is someone who has a spare PSU.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Does it make it thru any of the POST?? I've had weak PSU's, ground loops, and bad ram all do funny things at bootup.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Rob nails it here.

You got to remove everything fom the case and start to troubleshoot for real.

Boot up with just a videocard, one stick of ram and harddrive. Go into bios and start read data over a period of 10-15 min. Read data? The volts and how much they fluctuate. No overclocking, just standard. I have a hunch that if it is the psu, i think the 12V is bad if anything.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    did you recently had anything new in it??
    installed a new hsf or someting??
    if you did, recheck those
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Make sure the power lead from the PSU to the mobo is firmly clipped in and it hasn't started working its way out...

Had that happen to me once.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Could your CPU fan be jonesing you? Most BIOS' have a setting to immediately shut you down if the CPU fan doesn't spin up.

Good Luck:(

Prof
  • PeckersPeckers Sweden
    edited June 2003
    I think it may very well be a glitch witch the powercord-/connector. what happens if you move the connection around abit while trying to start.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Also try naming your threads more informatively, a thread named "AaAhhh!" wouldnt come high on most peoples list of priorities.

Though the mobo may have shifted a little if it wasnt put in correctly when it was first built and it may be shorting itself out, so do as Mack said and take it apart.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    azn go pick up a $5 atx 250 or 300 from any of the local small stores - Tim's pc or computer recylcers . . . or borrow one from a friend. I have extras . . .

spare psu is a good thing.
  • WahoogieWahoogie Marietta, GA, USA
    edited June 2003
    I had this sort of problem, which after a while led to no POST at all... I just got an 8RDA+ and it solved everything.... and I thought it was my psu too.
    edited June 2003
    Alright, here's whats up:
    Been in Chicago past week, so I haven't been able to do jack. Anyways, I got a new psu, stuck it in... same problem. Left vid card, stick of ram, and hd as suggested, same thing. Eventually I got to the point of taking everything, i mean everything, including processor, out, and still get the same results. I have (thus far) concluded that something has shorted out on my mobo. I have an ABIT KD7-E, and it's not even 4 months old.
    So... what should I do? Should I send it back to ABIT? I bought it on newegg, so I probably could return it to them...
    Any help would be appreciated.

aW
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Try a new cpu and if that doesn't work then try a new or diffrent mobo.
  • edited June 2003
    Go thru Newegg since it's only 4 months. Look over the back of the mobo for any discoloration from burnt parts.
    edited June 2003
    I got an RMA from newegg, and the only service they will be able to perform is repair. Hopefully they can, and if not... well, then I hope they can replace it. If they don't, I may just go straight to ABIT. I hear they are really proud of their mobos and want repeat customers.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2003
    Before you send it away, a few other things to check, both of which I have seen on client's computers:

1 - front of case case power or reset switches sticking. One fellow's computer had the reset switch stick, so the unit would power up for 10 seconds, then shut down. So, locate the switch wires for both switches where they connect to your motherboard. Power up the box, and as soon as there is power, YANK them quickly from the pin headers. If power stays on, there is your problem.

2 - Motherboard battery. If the battery has lost it's juice, then your CMOS/BIOS settings could have been lost. When the PSU comes on, the mobo checks the BIOS, doesn't know what processor or RAM frequency settings to use, what type of HD's to search for, which disk to boot from etc. If you can, get an electrical meter, and test the battery without removing it from the mobo (with the PSU off and unplugged.) It should read between 1.5 and 3 volts DC. Anything lower and the battery should be replaced. Ideally, you want to replace the battery with the power on and running, but that isn't always possible, like in your case. If that is the case, you wil have to go through the BIOS and set everythign back up how you had it. And before anybody says it, it doesn't matter that this is a brand new mobo. I have seen weak / dead batteries in brand new mobo's. It's not when you bought the board that is important, but the date that the battery was made. Who knows how long the battery may have been sitting on a shelf at the factory before it got put in your brand new mobo?

If those don't work, then as suggested earlier, try a different Processor and different RAM if you have them available.

Good luck.

Dexter...
    edited June 2003
    Thanks dex, I'll try your suggestions when I get back today.
    As for everything else, the thing that bothers me is that the mobo powers up the same way EVERY time, no matter what is plugged into it. Even without processor and ram, it does the same thing. The light on the mobo when the power supply is hooked up shows that it is receiving power even shut down, but when powered up, it just doesn't stay on.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    if it doesnt stay on....perhaps its a RAM or videocard issue, you should try that out. It also might be a faulty surge protector or faulty wiring in your house making this happen