Geil Ram settings

edited August 2006 in Hardware
****Below is an old post*****
I have assembled a new pc and what has been happening is when I play games it crashes to desktop. I have tracked down the problem to ram timing. Here are the specs Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP AMD 3200+ Geil 2 times 512 GeIL Ultra PC3200 400MHz DDR, these are placed in slots 1 and 2 (I beleive they should be in slots 1 and 3) I have turned the ram clock back from 200 to 166 and no more game crashes, however I think that means I'm running the ram at 333. Could anyone give me the correct ram timings to run this ram at 400. And also provide me with any other adjustments I may need to make. When I manully change the settigs to the geil ram timmings press f10 and save, reboot the ram timings go back to auto. So I am sure there is something I am overlooking. Your help would be great.
Cheers Psychnurse

*****New post*****
an update...I got so sick of this issue I brought a new mobo a K8N Neo MSI....and guess what......if I leave the settings on 200 the games crash and my reboots at odd times, under clock the ram to 166 and bingo no worries stable as.

I'm no guru on timings and over/under clocking but this is crazy.
What are the magic settings to get stability on 200 (ddr400) with this GeIL Ultra PC3200 400MHz DDR. Surely all these pc builders now the settings.
If there is anyone out there using a K8n Neo with Geil ultra pc3200 400mhz......let me know the big secret.

A64 3200+ (stock cooling)
MSI K8N Neo-754
GEIL PC3200 (DDR400) CL2.5 512MB x 2
Leadteck GF6800 ULTRA
Seagate SATA 7200RPM 8M x 2
LITE-ON SOHW-1213s 12x DVDRW
ANTEC TRUE 550

Comments

• edited September 2004
    got this from your support page...is it saying that I need to overclock my cpu(fsb) to get the ram running at a true ddr 400.

"Q: The 400MHz DDR DIMM apparently seems to work. However, it only works at speeds lower than 400MHz. What's going on?

A: In order to set your DDR to 400MHz (200MHz x2), the CPU's fsb needs to be overclocked. With the CPU to DIMM ratio of 1:1, the CPU's fsb will have to be 200MHz, making the resulting CPU speed too high for the CPU to boot properly. It is not the DDR module that failed to boot, bur rather the CPU itself. The only way to successfully boot your system with DDR400 setting is to choose a lower CPU to DIMM ratio of 3:4 or 4:5, which will make CPU fsb to be 150MHz or 160MHz respectively. Some motherboards show these 2 settings as DDR266 or DDR333. It's actually the ratio that gets modified. Please note that at the time of this QA, only the top model CPU heat sink/cooling fan can properly cool down the the CPU.

A64 3200+ (stock cooling)
    MSI K8N Neo-754
    GEIL PC3200 (DDR400) CL2.5 512MB x 2
    Leadteck GF6800 ULTRA
    Seagate SATA 7200RPM 8M x 2
    LITE-ON SOHW-1213s 12x DVDRW
    ANTEC TRUE 550
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    unfortunately for you, GEIL ram is very very cheap crap. One good thing is that it will almost always run at the timings the specify at the speed they specify, but I've heard of several cases where they market PC2700 as PC3200 and being the geil junk it is it can't handle the OC to the listed speeds.

ditch the ram, buy more
  • edited September 2004
    Is it really that bad? What would you reccommed
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    psychnurse wrote:
    Is it really that bad? What would you reccommed
    corsair, kingston, mushkin
    even corsair value select would be great (and that stuff is CHEAP)

before I resort to that though, I suppose I should ask - do you know what timings your ram is running at? I have never owned an MSI board, so I dont know where these would be adjusted in the bios, but since Geil is so picky about timings I would try setting the timings to exactly what they advertise (which, if I had to guess, is 2.5-4-4-7 @ 200)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited September 2004
    Uhhh someone sounds a tad biased, it seems...:-/ How much GEIL have you actually used? Granted, I'm running ddr500, and only running at 229, but in any case it is not cheap ram. $240 for 2x256. These puppies run at 2.5-4-4-7 even at ddr500 and above, which is much better than average. The reason (for these at least i would assume) they don't overclock massively is because of the tight timings. The only gripe I have is that I can't CHANGE the timings, but this is NOT cheap ram...in price nor quality.

//EDIT: Corsair Value is JUNK ... 11,000 memtest errors after running ddr400 at 229 for two months ONLY... before I even overclocked, right out of the box it scored a hefty 60 errors...
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2004
    I have the neo via chipset and 3200+ amd64 with two sticks ddr400 512mb geil and just set it to spd and have never had a problem. It runs 24/7 for weeks without a reboot.

This is the via versus nvidia chipset but??? I also don't try to OC. I played for a few hours and it was stable at 3400+ speeds but I only played a few hours. It was not enough of a differance to feel in anything so I set it back to 3200+ speeds.

Tex
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    unfortunately for you, GEIL ram is very very cheap crap. ...

I call B.S. :grr:

Maybe back in the day of pc2100, when geil was just starting out they were crap. This is not the case anymore...

The trick with geil ram is that it needs more voltage to be completely stable. I would say start with 2.7v if you plan to overclock at all. 2.6v if you leave things stock. I am running my pc4400 at 2.9v @ ddr500 with timings of 2.5,4,4,7 - which are pretty tight timings for ddr500! My 2.8c will go no higher than 3.5ghz, but i know my ram can go faster. Geil ram is gauranteed to operate with voltages of up to 3.1v, so don't be afraid to juice it as needed. Plus geil has a lifetime warranty.

I have also used geil golden dragon pc3500 which is rated for 2.5,3,3,6 @ ddr433. I used to have it running @ ddr472(236fsb) with 2.5,4,4,7 timings and 2.9v. Rock stable!

So, geil ram is NOT crap! I have had zero problems with geil. I would highly recommend it to anyone.... :)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2004
    entropy wrote:
    ...$240 for 2x256....
    where did you buy? i'm sorry but you got ripped off! I got 2x512mb pc4400 for $230 from newegg. I think they screwed up though b/c the day after i ordered the price was jacked back up to $305.
    entropy wrote:
    ...The only gripe I have is that I can't CHANGE the timings, but this is NOT cheap ram...in price nor quality.
    That is really strange that you can't adjust timings. I have never had that problem. The only thing i cam accross was that my pc3500 didn't like cl 3,4,4,8 settings. It would boot, but my mobo would beep like crazy. I think it might be a mobo related thing for you too...
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    ...but since Geil is so picky about timings I would try setting the timings to exactly what they advertise (which, if I had to guess, is 2.5-4-4-7 @ 200)

The timings for your geil ram are 2.5,3,3,6. Try that with like 2.7v.
    edited September 2004
    DOH! That's a mistake ... try $140 for 2x256 :) Sound much more reasonable, hey? lol
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2004
    entropy wrote:
    DOH! That's a mistake ... try $140 for 2x256 :) Sound much more reasonable, hey? lol

Thast about what I paid for my 2x512mb geil
    edited September 2004
    But was it ddr500?
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited September 2004
    I have the K8N-Neo with some corsair xms 3200+ and that won't run 200MHz at clk 2.0.... I found the best performance comes from overclocking the processor to 220MHz and using the A64 tweaker to set the DIMM speed to 183MHz... since the speeds are ratios, not absolute values my DIMMs are running just under 200MHz (it think, too lazy to work it out) at 2,2,2,6... you can also use the tweaker to disable the 2T timing, and generally play with settings that the BIOS won't let you get at.
  • edited August 2006
    Hi there,

I have the same issue with GeIL memory module PC 3200 DDR 400
    The mainboard is K8N-E Deluxe with AMD Athlon 64 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3000+
    The memory only works with 166 MHz 2.0-3-3-5 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    If someone knows how to make it work with 200 MHz 2.5-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) please send that valuable tip :respect:
    I've tried to set the DIMM voltage to 2.7 keeping the same settings for 200MHz but the result was the same .. 333MHz :aol: