Just Joined Team 93....& A Quick Question

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
OK, so all the talk about folding on the door prize thread led me to investigate it a bit further. I knew all about distributed computing before, but did not know much about this project. But I thought, what the heck, I will probably have Alzheimers some day, and I have seen family members deteriorate with different forms of it, so I downloaded the screensaver client.

Why the screensaver? Well, as I lamented in the door prize thread , my home system is even slower than the Stanford benchmarking unit - we have an old Celeron 400 Mhz, with only 96 MB RAM in it. :rolleyes:

But at my office, I have a P4 - 1.5 Ghz with 256 MB RAM that sits idle for about 14 hours a day. :) I don't want it folding during the day while I am working on it, but why not put it to use overnight, right? :D

Now, my question is this...in the control panel there is an option for CPU Usage percentage. Is this a percentage of the overall CPU power, or a percentage of just what my system can dedicate to F@H? The reason I ask is that I run an FTP server out of the same box, which does not use a lot of CPU power obviously, but needs to have priority if there are any transfers that need to be done.

I have set my usage percentage to about 75% (see attached pic), but would I be safe just to leave it at 100%? Will I see any problems with the FTP server?

Cheers,

Dexter...

Comments

• edited July 2003
    100% completely safe :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Setting CPU usage won't do anything for folding@home, as it uses idle CPU cycles anyway. It will NOT take any cycles from any other program. It uses only what nothing else is using. It won't interfere with anything you're doing. :)
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited July 2003
    My work laptop folds 24/7 at 100%. I see no problems with performance when compiling programs or anything else. Folding@Home only uses spare cpu cycles, it doesn't steal them from other apps. :)

BTW, Welcome to the team!!!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I am not going to bother repeating what the other guys have said but I will say

Welcome to the team :thumbsup:
    edited July 2003
    Oh, yeah! How rude of me! :banghead:

Welcome to the team! :D:thumbsup:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    Thanks guys, I upped the percentage to give it all it wants.

And, if I win the door prize and can replace my home system, I will add it's horsepower to the fold (pun intended.)

Hey, and when will I see my username on their site?

Dexter...
    edited July 2003
    You'll see it as soon as you turn in your first Work Unit and they update the stats.
    edited July 2003
    Thanks Trekky :D

Dexter...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Welcome to the team, Dexter! :)
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    Welcome to the team dexter! Glad to have you folding with us!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Glad to have you aboard!

You can monitor your progress through Stanford's F@H site, but you might like this one a little more. Click on the "Go to Team Short-Media Members Stats Page" to see our team ranked by individual Folder.

I look forward to seeing your name in the "New Members In Past 7 Days" when your first WU is turned in.

Just to echo the others, I run F@H full tilt 24/7 while simultaneously doing many other tasks. It has never given me a problem on my OC'd computer - it seems to do a terrific job of automatically backing off when you are doing other stuff on your computer.

Thanks for joining this worthwhile project! :thumbsup:

Prof
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Welcome to the team. Seems like everyone else here has it covered.

If you have any more Qs dont be afaid to ask.:)
    edited July 2003
    Dexter said
    Thanks Trekky :D

Dexter...

No problem, buddy. You're part of the team now! :)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Hey, great to see you finally come into DC Dexter, welcome to the crazy wack fold yo and grab a seat and kick up your feet!:fold:

BTW - Like I mention to most people, stay away from mmonnin's cheese dip, he was getting better at it for a time but then I'm not sure what quite happened.:scratch:
    edited July 2003
    Cheese dip? Ooohhh...

/me 's stomach grumbles...

Don't mention that again, please... :buck:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Welcome to the team Dexter!

In the picture, are you the hairy one?
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    GJ dood, welcome welcome :D
    edited July 2003
    DanG said
    Welcome to the team Dexter!

In the picture, are you the hairy one?

LOL @ DAN :cheers:

Depends if you were referring to the dog, the cat or the human ;)

Dexter...