Cutting spyware messages from the hot threads

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited September 2004 in Community
I know that any threads started in the Pub do not appear on the hot thread list, and what I'd like to propose is that we exclude threads started in the spyware forum.

This is because all I ever see in the hot threads list on the forum homepage is peoples highjack this log, or a plea to stop spyware. Whilst I understand that this is important to visitors of the site, I'd reckon that most people, particularly regular members, would prefer to see other topics in the hot threads list.

People will always help others in the spyware removal game, but I'm just a little fed up of always seeing spyware related threads on the forum homepage & I have to sift through the other forums for decent topics.

::rantover::

~Cyrix

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Moved to correct forum and fixed.

I did remove them from hot threads just before the update. Guess I missed it during.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    YAY! I didn't want to be the ******* and rag on one of the things this forum does best. Glad you broached the topic, Cyrix. :) Thanks Dan!
    edited September 2004
    No problem. prime asked me a while ago and I did it.. but I copied my hack code from my code repository and it still had references to that forum :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2004
    I thought the 'new post' option at the top gave you that choice anyway. I understand what you guys mean but I think to exclude them by default is, dare I say?, a bit selfish? Concidering all the excellent work Dexter and the others do with spyware and the fact that visitors to the site will look at the hot threads, they should be left in. The anti spyware guys are probably responsible in a large part for the sites phenomenal growth and I feel that it's one way of recognising that.
    edited September 2004
    bothered wrote:
    I thought the 'new post' option at the top gave you that choice anyway. I understand what you guys mean but I think to exclude them by default is, dare I say?, a bit selfish? Concidering all the excellent work Dexter and the others do with spyware and the fact that visitors to the site will look at the hot threads, they should be left in. The anti spyware guys are probably responsible in a large part for the sites phenomenal growth and I feel that it's one way of recognising that.
    Im gonna give them own set of hot threads Mr B ;)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2004
    Never doubted you for a nano second Shorty, I just though I had to say something.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2004
    I help out in the spyware forum as I can, but I must admit I was starting to feel like I was missing out by having the hot threads section be so dominated by the "please help..." threads.

I think having their own hot threads section will be the best of both worlds.

Kudo's, Shorty! :respect:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Damn you guys are good, imagine, actually fixing problems.
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Thanks shorty
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited September 2004
    Have been wanting this change as well. Thnaks for making it happen shorty. :)