xp home sp2 woes

miinkiemiinkie UK
edited September 2004 in Hardware
hey all. Once again I seem to be encountering major problem.
PC was running well till i installed XP HE SP2. On reboot after installation Windows is comin up with major logon errors and not finishing the boot sequence.

The 1st error is in Winlogon.exe. It states that entry point not found.
If i OK that it goes on to show another error in services.exe (same message) then finally it shows 3rd error message in lsass.exe (same message).

After all these error messages it reboots and goes through the same thing again.

I have tried booting last known good - same thing
Safe mode - same thing

Is there any way of sorting this out.
Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited September 2004
    Possible solution.

1. Boot to Recovery Console.

2 . type the following commands cd system32 [enter]

ren winlogon.exe winlogon.old ren msgina.dll msgina.old ren shell32.dll shell32.old ren shlwapi.dll shlwapi.old

cd.. [enter] cd servicepackfiles\i386 [enter] copy MSGINA.DLL c:\windows\system32 copy SHELL32.DLL c:\windows\system32 copy WINLOGON.EXE c:\windows\system32 copy shlwapi.dll c:\windows\system32

if not there, expand from the cd

3 Type EXIT and hit enter

You could also try an XP restore (Boot from install CD) but may encounter a missing HAL. There may be a second option that allows you to reinstall files without format.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited September 2004
    Thanks MediaMan
    Still rebooting withoutactually logging on. Will try repair from installation CD
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited September 2004
    finally got it working then tried to install sp2 and here we are again. Is there a cache i should clear before trying to re-install sp2?

Thanks again for all the help

Noticed that there are the sp2 icons in control panel ie firewall, security centre and wireless settings, but they dont work. How do i remove the partial instal then?