Need recommendations for PCMCIA cards

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited September 2004 in Hardware
I'm getting a Dell Latitude CPi with a 366 P2 processor. The specs on it from Dell say it has a Cardbus controller, so it should be able to handle the newer (?) cardbus cards.

How long has Cardbus been around, and how it is different / better than the older setup?

I'll have 2 basic uses for the computer.

1. Connect an ethernet cable to it for home internet access.

2. Wireless access when I get my home wireless network set up.

Which cards would you recommend for these 2 purposes? I've heard the orinoco gold card is best for wireless use and can plug in an external antenna, but that other companies are making it also and labeling it the Orinoco Gold. is there any performance difference, and how do I tell which is which?

I don't think the basic ethernet plug cards will be much different, and one will be more or less as good as another. Will they?

I'm going to a computer show tomorrow, and will ask these questions there some more to compare answers. I think I'll get much better answers here.

Comments

• edited September 2004
    Tim, I can't help you with the wireless part but before I bought my new laptop I was using this ethernet adapter on my Inspiron 8000 laptop I used to have and it worked great.