Modding Google Compute!

edited September 2004 in Folding@Home
Another boring day here at the rig, so I got to wondering how I could make my AMD silicon get a higher percentage of Tinker WU's and I remembered that Google Compute, which is their version of the F@H client, has around 90% Tinkers assigned. I had messed with Google Compute over a year ago and it was pretty easy to mod it then, but I knew that they had changed some stuff up so that it was harder to mod it for any other team besides their's by putting the entries in the registry. I went ahead to the Google Compute web page and installed their folding client on the Google toolbar, then shut it down on my laptop here at work. I then opened up regedit and went looking for the username that Google Compute had assigned me. That was easy to do because they've added a way to change the username from their toolbar, which they didn't have when I messed with it earlier. Sure enough, when running a Find on the username that Google Compute had assigned me, it led me to where all Google Compute's settings were in the registry. The only mods necessary in registry were to change the username (2 lines) and the Team number. For you folks that want to be able to get a great majority of Tinker work units for your fast AMD silicon, this is a viable alternative for you to consider, if you're not scared to make a couple of registry entry modifications.

Here's a pic of the mods I had to do to subvert their install to fold for Team 93. :cool2: Also, here's another pic of where Google compute puts all it's files on your computer if you want to monitor it with EMIII. EMIII will monitor it but it kind of baulks when you show it the GoogleFAH.exe file as the program to monitor, but it will monitor the Google client.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    cool.
    since my setup on the v5.0+ client I've gotten nothing but tinkers ...I haven't even loaded the core_78 yet since it hasn't been needed.

And vice versa on the p4 rigs ...all I did was add the -advmethods flag to the same setup and viola!!! gromacs. :thumbsup:

I hope to see you getting more steady points there mudd!!! Sure you'll be headed to the beach real soon too. :fold:
  • edited September 2004
    Thanks for the info Mudd.. I think I'll try to put that to good use on my farm nodes here at the house. They are all AMD rigs so this should benefit me quite well too.

KingFish
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I would check the license agreement for google compute to make sure that's allowed, cause if it's not, we don't want any team to claim that we are cheating. It would make us look really bad.
  • edited September 2004
    Prime, I'm glad you brought that up as I believe that modding the team number is exempt from this. Here is their Terms of Use page for you to look at, but I will quote the pertinent paragraph from the page:
    2. Proper Use. The content and software on this Site is the property of Google and/or its suppliers and is protected by U.S. and international intellectual property laws. Accordingly, you agree that you will not copy, reproduce, alter, modify, create derivative works, or publicly display any content (except for your own personal, non-commercial use) from the Site. You also agree that you will not use any robot, spider, other automated device, or manual process to monitor or copy any content from the Site. Furthermore, the Site is provided to you for your own personal use, and it may not be used for any commercial purposes. For example, you may not do any of the following: use the Site to sell a product or service; use the Site to increase traffic to your Web site for commercial reasons, such as advertising sales; take the results from the Site and reformat and display them, or mirror any portion of the Site on your Web site; or "meta-search" the Site. If you wish to use any portion of the Site for commercial purposes, please contact us for more information. Any use of the Site that infringes upon Google's intellectual property rights or that is for commercial purposes will be investigated and Google shall have the right to take appropriate civil and criminal legal action.

You see the part that I bolded? I'm not using this for a commercial use; this is done strictly for personal use and I believe that this exempts my alteraltions in the registry to the team number that I want my points credited to. People can use their own judgement as to whether they are violating Google's Terms of Use, but that is the way I interpret it. As far as the username is concerned, you don't even have to go into the registry to change that; it can be done straight from the Google toolbar.

I look at the Google toolbar as another way for people to set up the client much like setting it up as a service, but easier to start and stop. You can control starting and stopping directly from an IE window instead of having to go to services to stop the client. Since Google sends out almost all Tinker work, this obviously wouldn't be the way to set up an Intel machine as Tinker is less efficient than Gromacs on Intels, especially on P4 machines, but is highly efficient on AMD machines. It also isn't preferrentially dumping Gromacs work either as it's just taking what Google's assignment servers dish out, which happen to be mostly Tinker work units. In the future, it might not be advantageous to run AMD machines with the Google toolbar, but at this moment it is.

BTW, I haven't implemented this on any machines at my house yet as I had this brainstorm yesterday on the rig; I won't be home to implement it for 1-2 more weeks. :(
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I would check the license agreement for google compute to make sure that's allowed, cause if it's not, we don't want any team to claim that we are cheating. It would make us look really bad.

I don't see how it would be cheating.... if you changed it and then started distributing the GoogleCompute client as a legitmate one with the altered info than yes, but, if you are running the thing on your own computer you should be able to do whatever you want with it.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2004
    I did this awhile back and its pretty easy. I changed my name thru the toolbar and edited the .cfg file to be team 93. The toolbad didnt install for anyone that logged in tho so it would only run when I was on.