Logitech MX1000 Mouse

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Hardware
As my MX700 has finally started to bite the dust (all the little feet have fallen off and it doesn't hold charge for more than half a day). I decided to hunt out a new MX700 yesterday :)

I couldn't find one in my local store but I did come across the latest MX1000. No more optical, instead it has a little laser :cool:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=3,CONTENTID=9043&ad=hp_mx1000
MX Laser Engine

If you thought smooth tracking optical sensors were an advancement over mechanical ball-based mice, let us introduce you to the mouse that takes precision and performance to a whole new level: the Logitech® MX™1000 Laser Cordless Mouse, the world's first laser mouse.

Now optical is obsolete. And your computing experience will never be the same.

Featuring the Logitech MX™ Laser Engine, the MX1000 delivers a new pinnacle of performance no optical mouse can match. With an incredible 20x more sensitivity to surface detail—or tracking power—than optical, laser can track reliably even on tricky polished or wood-grain surfaces. And the MX1000 offers even more advanced features that will make you more productive and more comfortable.
It's really smooth. Lighter than the MX700 and has a more organised placement of the buttons. Along with aping the "tilt" technology found in the llatest round of Microsoft mice :)

As the MX700 is being slowly replaced (so I hear) with this mouse, anyone looking to move to the MX700.. get the MX1000 i'd say :cool:

Would be MX1000 users, ask ya questions :D

Comments

• edited September 2004
    You could have just replaced the MX700's batteries.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    You could have just replaced the MX700's batteries.
    It wasn't just the batteries that had problems.

The little feet had worn off, the metallic finish was worn off and one of the left thumbs button kept getting stuck ;)
  • MoTHA_NaTuREMoTHA_NaTuRE All over this bizzatch called FL
    edited September 2004
    hey, i saw one of those mouse too when i was browsing the mouse section of a compusa. if you do drop $80 for one, please share the experience, i wonder what kind of a difference does it have vs. an optical model. i jus can't rip myself away from my razer boomslang 2000, best mouse i have ever used!
    edited September 2004
    I did buy it :D

It feels smoother than my MX700 but that could be partly because the 700 was on it's way out.

It definitely has a more comfortable grip. The application switcher has moved to the left thumb button area and it more ready to hand. The tilt functions work well but still cannot be reassigned to other duties. I hope they do fix that in a driver/app update :)

Tracking wise.. it's slightly more responsive then optical but nothing to write home about. Overall... it's a much more comfortable shape for my little hands and is lighter :)

I did notice that my MX700 would sometimes be a little stuttery.. but Ive definitely not noticed it on this mouse :) It does seem to track slightly smoother.
  • MoTHA_NaTuREMoTHA_NaTuRE All over this bizzatch called FL
    edited September 2004
    sounds really nice, but once logitech comes out with something 2000dpi and above, then maybe i'll switch, because i'm one of those people who's too lazy to move the mouse more than 1/2 a cm.
    it seems the laser pretty much just increase reponsiveness on more varieties of surfaces.

:rolleyes: new technology is making us lasier :p
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    Shes Perrrty..
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited September 2004
    I definitely want one ... the MX510 is comfortable, but it can be a pain on the hand after awhile :-/ And wireless, too... oh man it's sooo tempting...
    edited September 2004
    Way smoother than my two year old (or so) MX700. Feels more comfortable in the hand as well (something my MX700 used to not be) :)
    edited September 2004
    Is this smaller or bigger than the MX700 (or the MX510 if you've ever tried it...)?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Once you have an mx700/1000, you being to wonder why you ever ****ed around with that silly wire on your mouse.
    edited September 2004
    Well, I got the MX510 because it tracks like a mofo, and because I had a bad experience with a wireless, albeit it was a junker. So now I'm in the process of convincing my bro to buy my MX510 ... ;)
    edited September 2004
    I will admit that all previous wireless mice I had tried (Up to and including microsoft's early ventures in that arena), blew huge. I was not convinced on this mouse until I was able to use one with a 30 day refund promise.

Then I was sold, and so was the mouse.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2004
    As soon as my mx700 bits the dust I'll have on. The 700 is a great mouse but I'd prefer it to be a little smaller. I have small hands too.
    What is this tilt about?
    edited September 2004
    The tilt allows you to scroll horizontally. :)
    edited September 2004
    A full proper review will be up later this week ;)
    edited September 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    The tilt allows you to scroll horizontally. :)

Like pressing the wheel button on the 700?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Where did you get it and how much Dan?
    I'm tempted to replace my intellimouse optical 1.0a, but I don't know if this other mouse will be as comfy...
    edited September 2004
    PC world.. believe it or not ;)

It was the same price online in the usual places.. so PC world got my cash ;D
    edited September 2004
    Everything at PC World used to be twice the price. I've noticed they've got much better lately.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Well I just replaced my keyboard and mouse and got one of the MX1000 Lazer mice and it's friggin wonderful!!! :cool: I got a new Viewsonic keyboard that seems to be keeping its end of the deal too. But I just can't get over this mouse. I went from a Logitech 'Dual Optical' with a tail to this and I'm in total heaven. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2005
    After years it seems of fighting the cordless crave I finally gave in and got the mx1000 3 or 4 months ago. If BMW made a mouse this would be it.. I love it.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    threads like this make me think I may be the only person who uses a trackball (I game with it too!)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    threads like this make me think I may be the only person who uses a trackball (I game with it too!)

So you're that guy! hehe I know a guy that does, He kicks ass in ut also.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    you know what I totally misread your post, nevermind :D
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited April 2005
    Hello there,

I too invested in one of those new fangled MX1000 gizmos, and it is by far the most comfortable mouse I have ever used...ever. Not only for the tiny hand folk but for us large handed folks too. My hands are nearly 9 inches long (no that is not an exaggeration, I actually just measured them :D) and they wrap around this thing so nicely.

So if you are on the edge, jump fast, it's completely worth every penny.

Later,
    The Rug (formerally known as Alex)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    TheBaron wrote:

logitech trackball here also
    130.gif 26.5K