version 5 versus version 4

edited September 2004 in Folding@Home
H'm.....can anybody shed any light on this:-

Everything was folding smoothly...then I had the great idea 'update to 5.02'.

I tried the screensaver version, the console version, the suggestions made by spinner in his recent thread, the suggestions made to Bothered by csimon and all failed to help. I always failed to achieve a connection or 'could not get workpacket' and got nowhere.

:banghead

Last resort tonight. Scrubbed the folding directory clean for the seventh time this week, loaded the old version 4 ........hurray!!!!! - Had a core and workpacket downloaded in under 15sec.

So question is......WHY?

(PS I dont really care as this machine is now running again but its made a hole in my, all be it small, points total)

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2004
    Not sure.
  • edited September 2004
    are you running any type of firewall in the background that would prevent the new program from accessing the internet?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    janelynch wrote:
    H'm.....can anybody shed any light on this:-

Everything was folding smoothly...then I had the great idea 'update to 5.02'.

I tried the screensaver version, the console version, the suggestions made by spinner in his recent thread, the suggestions made to Bothered by csimon and all failed to help. I always failed to achieve a connection or 'could not get workpacket' and got nowhere.

:banghead

Last resort tonight. Scrubbed the folding directory clean for the seventh time this week, loaded the old version 4 ........hurray!!!!! - Had a core and workpacket downloaded in under 15sec.

So question is......WHY?

(PS I dont really care as this machine is now running again but its made a hole in my, all be it small, points total)

A copy of the client.cfg file might help. That sounds sarcastic doesn't it??? LOL

No seriously.
  • edited September 2004
    I honestly would not know whether it was sarcastic or not but having completely scrubbed all the non-working versions and associate files then none of the version 5.02 client.cfg files are left.

Anyhow not to worry, version 4 has a Tinker and is folding happily so........