How To Get Tinkers In 5.02??

EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
edited September 2004 in Folding@Home
Hello All,

I'm currently running graphical client 5.02 and all I'm getting is blasted gromacs on my AMDs for two freaking weeks. Please help.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    are you using the -advmethods flag?

This is my config file (see defaults) and all I get is tinkers ...help yourself.

Oh yeah ...your's may be slightly different since I run the console only. :fold:

or: alternatively you can try this http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19970
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited September 2004
    So I should just be able to go into the config file and change it there?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2004
    Yeah you could, just dont mess anything up.
    edited September 2004
    yes stop the client then restart it with the -configonly flag ...it won't start really just allow you to only configure it. Just add it to the shortcut and then remove it when you're done. If you need help just post your shortcut and I'll show you where to add it.

Remove it when you're done then restart and you're good. The next wu you get should be a tinker.

this is a cut n paste of my config file just for reference:

[settings]
    username=csimon
    team=93
    asknet=no
    bigpackets=yes
    machineid=1
    local=90

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=no

[core]
    checkpoint=30
    ignoredeadlines=yes

[clienttype]
    type=2
    nonet=yes
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2004
    He has the GUI so just edit the file.
    edited September 2004
    In that case can you cut n paste your client.cfg file for us?
    edited September 2004
    Since you are using the GUI you may or may not be interested in a newer beta client.

BETA CLIENTS

Windows GUI version 5.03 pre2

This version has several fixes over 5.02:

Screen saver activation fix
    White text instead of blue (to be user config'd)
    Revised OpenGL code to handle weird WUs (eg p12XX) better (i.e. not crash)
    Better WU time/frame estimation.
    Fixes a redraw problem found when the main title is turned off
    This preview release will not expire. These files are executables, not installers. To run, you should move them to the directory in which FAH was installed.
    edited September 2004
    Here it is...

[settings]
    username=Enisada
    team=93
    asknet=no
    machineid=1
    local=27
    bigpackets=yes

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=no
    proxy_name=
    proxy_passwd=

[graphics]
    drawgap=125
    drawtitle=1
    saver_mode_enabled=0
    saver_runs_core=0
    saver_idle_minutes=1
    drawlogos=0
    logourl=http://folding.stanford.edu
    subtitle=
    drawmode=0

[core]
    priority=0
    cpuusage=100
    disableassembly=no
    checkpoint=15
    ignoredeadlines=yes

[power]
    battery=no
    edited September 2004
    ah ...did you have an option to configure "Minimize networking"? That appears to be the only difference. Maybe gui doesnt offer that option. That is the type=2 setting that downloads and stores 10 wu's at a time. If the option isn't offered during configuration setup then it probably just doesn't work with the gui version. In that case I wouldn't even just edit it in to the cfg file.
    edited September 2004
    Well I just got another gromac. Grrr...
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited September 2004
    look to me like if Enisada set up for deadlineless units he'd be all set.
    Ver 4.= Genome (bottom on the advanced page FAH control panel. ver 5 also)

Looking at csimon's setup and running the gui myself.
    Hope this helps.

My old machines are currently getting small tinkers.
    edited September 2004
    I thought it was setup for deadlineless???
    edited September 2004
    I don't know enough about the gui version.
    edited September 2004
    Well i suppose I could give the console version a try.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Um, the strategies are influenced by benchmarking and the efficiency factor, also. IF efficiency drops below .80, more Tinkers and smaller Gromacs are fed. If -advmethods switch is used, you can get very late beta Gromacs and fewer Tinkers. If the machines do not handle Gromacs well the efficiency drops to the point where Tinkers are fed more and more often, sometimes over three weeks as this is a running average figure and one bad time in folding a WU will nto drop it huge amount. IF you kill Gromacs, then they are not factored into this, and the efficiency factor can work to your benefit for what you want. Give the box three weeks folding Gromacs and see if you start getting Tinkers. The ASSIGNMENT servers will give you assignment links to feed servers based on two things-- server being available and NOT overloaded and the efficiency factor.

One hint, as to the graphical client-- it can use switches fed to it by a shortcut used to run it, and did when I used it to check things a few times. If you run it from a shortcut and that shortcut calls for -advmethods, you will get lots of Gromacs compared to Tinkers for up to a month or so until the efficiency factor drops below 80%-- IF you do NOT ignore deadlines.

ADDED: Two or three more points.

If you want to see your computer's efficiency in logs, you can do two things:
    First, use the -verbosity 9 switch. This will casue effciency calcs done by client on your machine to be logged for each WU. Second, let the box use efficency and do not choose "no deadlines" for the first three to four weeks. Then you can know the efficiency and know that that is being tracked at folding also.

Third point set is this: There are a very limited number of WUs and servers for SMALL and no-deadline Tinker WUs available, and they are also slower servers with limited flow handling capacity. IF your slow box calls home to Folding and gets Gromacs, it might be that in fact the nodeadline servers are being maintaianed or are VERY busy at time your box calls in (look at the Folding@Home Stats pages for Projects and for Server status if you want to see some of why you got what you got). IF you transfer WUS from a fast box, they will often be Gromacs due to THAT box's efficency, so if you can give each box a direct internet connect it is more likely that after three to four weeks the assignment servers will adjust to your box. Right now the client does not have any REAL machine type detection ability, and doing that would mean a larger client and a slower intitial setup and heavy machine load during the probe. SO, Folding uses EFFICIENCY to ADJUST to boxes as best as it can.

Last point is this:

You can rename your FAHlog-Prev.txt file to something else that is unique, and save it if you want. The client and core can be active while you do so. That file is an old file not in use. The result can be that you can have over a year's back logs to see how things go, and I have about that much in logs for my various client incarnations on various HDs and CDs. I am beta folding and tell Stanford what is up when I see patterns. I am running STOCK clients and normally also stock cores. My boxes are kinda acting as sentinels as well as folding. So, I use logs to see patterns over long periods of time. Having very verbose logs helps with that. I recommend this process set to see what is really happening, for a month of processing time minimum with same client running to see how your box reacts to Folding. If you in fact have things happening that are not right over long periods of time, the forums are one place to mention them, though Folding admin and staff like log snippets to illustrate points.

I used those saved logs to make some points that have been addressed well. Folks that do the same can make proven or provable good reactive info for the client and core dev folks and the server admins.
    edited September 2004
    Enisada wrote:
    Well i suppose I could give the console version a try.
    If you do the console then try this.
    Use the same folder that you were using for the gui.
    delete everything in that folder except the "work" folder and it's contents (the core will be automatically downloaded and it will continue to fold the gromac you are on).
    run the fah5.02_console.exe from the command prompt using the -configonly flag like ...fah5.02_console -configonly
    configure it like I have mine in the first post.
    Then open administrative tools/services and highlight the fah+*** and pick start and you're folding.
    now if you want to monitor progress and look at the pretty picture of the molecules you can download EMIII from www.em-dc.com ...most of us use this. The beauty is that you can monitor multiple clients at once like I monitor around 28 all at once. Here is an example of what you will see:

edit:\ if the bit about configonly and all that confuses you then just ignore it and run it like you normally would and it will go to configure anyway.