Folding & PC Anywhere

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
OK, as some of you know, I loaded up my office computer with the F@H screensaver, to allow it to fold overnight. It got about 5% of my work unit done last night, not bad for one nights work I guess?

But, I did run into another question. I have a PC Anywhere host active on my computer. I often log in from home during the evenings to do some work from home. Last night, I could hardly do anything. the remote screen kept freezing up on me, and I had to log out and back in repeatedly. I could get a few clicks done, then my screen stopped refeshing. I know that the whole system does not freeze, because if I clicked on something, watched the screen freeze, logged out, then logged back in, the item I clicked on will have openes / executed. But why is the screen information not refreshing? :scratch:

Anyone know of any conflicts with the graphics driver on the F@H screensaver client? Should I switch to the other F@H client?

If it continues like that, I am going to have to stop folding, because I do need access to my system overnight :(

Dexter...

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I'm sure someone more helpful will be along momentarily, but I highly recommend switching to the graphical or console client. They fold much more effectively and won't waste cycles showing pretty pictures on the screen :)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    Thanks Keebs. If I switch, am I going to lose the WU in progress?

***EDITED TO SAY:

OK, I downloaded the graphical client, and am running that, so I answered my own question, I lost that WU from the screensaver. Is there any way to salvage that, or will it get reassigned to someone? I have not uninstalled the screenscaver version yet, just disabled it.

Dexter...
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Hi Dexter, I have never run the screensaver version before but if you still have it installed then you still have the WU intact. I'm not quite sure if the directory structure is the same but there shouldn't be a problem with copying the needed files into the newly setup client and picking back up where you left off. Take a look in each folding directory to verify that everything is similar in structure. If so, you can add the "-pause" switch to your shortcut and that will send out the new WU upon completion and then pause without attempting to download another one to work on. Once you see the client has sent and is sitting idle, you should be able to copy the old files into the new clients directory and finish the screensaver unit in the new client.

Hope this doesn't sound greek to you, let me know if you have any further questions.:)

EDIT - The only thing you shouldn't copy is the actual folding exectutable, leave those as they are.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    The SS is just a load of crap. Never used it and never will. It can only cause problems. If you can run the console do it. Next choice would be to run the graphical.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    my short time using pcAnywhereXP I found that it consumed anywhere from 5%-35% of my CPU processes in idle state..and when actually using the app to check on other pc's would shoot anywhere from 40%-90%. hence making the FAHConsole have less CPU power to fold.

now this was awhile ago so pcAnywhere might not be that much of a CPU hog now, but I quickly decided not to use it anymore...

Just a thought

fc
  • edited July 2003
    try Remotely Anywhere - when idle it is idle
    edited August 2003
    FatCat said
    my short time using pcAnywhereXP I found that it consumed anywhere from 5%-35% of my CPU processes in idle state..and when actually using the app to check on other pc's would shoot anywhere from 40%-90%. hence making the FAHConsole have less CPU power to fold.

now this was awhile ago so pcAnywhere might not be that much of a CPU hog now, but I quickly decided not to use it anymore...

Just a thought

fc

Fatcat My system shows an average of 2% CPU usage when my PCAnywhere host is active, using Version 10 for Win2000. When I am active it is around 20 to 30 %.

Anyways, I am thinking that this problem is not Folding related, as I now remember a few times where I had similar problems with my PCAnywhere a few weeks ago, before I installed F@H. It only seems to be when I log in to my office comuter from home. If I log into other servers from home, it works fine, and when I log in from the office to my other servers, they are fine. I think it may be a local ISP thing. The 2 big players out here are the cable company and the phone company, and they notoriously have "routing" problems that neither want to fix because they both blame the other :banghead:

Dexter...
    edited August 2003
    Well, after some intensive searching, I found an answer. Something anout Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and my PC Anywhere version 10 (or 10.5 too apparantly) that causes a problem. I had the host set for the default graphics acceleration to the server, and Service Pack 3 does not like this it would seem :scratch:

So, the answer was to disable the acceleration mode of PC Anywhere, and then I had no problems logging in and using it, even while folding in the background. So my office computer is currently chugging away at my 3rd WU. :)

Cheers,

Dexter...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    There is a SP4 out for 2k.
    edited August 2003
    mmonnin said
    There is a SP4 out for 2k.

Yeah, I know. It is already installed and running on my computer. Didn't make a difference.