Dual Xeon 2.2Ghz

EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
edited September 2004 in Folding@Home
What kinda performance can I expect out of this machine it is rather old, I believe two years or so it has RAMBUS inside.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Dual XEON 2.2's? They shouldn't be bad at all...

Do you know what type of XEONS they are? Like do they have a 400 or maybe 533MHz FSB? How much cache they have?
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited September 2004
    Now you made me want to take it apart and look...
    edited September 2004
    I think they are 2x2.2 w/ HT and have 512kb of L2 cache.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited September 2004
    Dual Xeons won't have the flat out speed compared to 3 GHz or the 3800+/FX processors. Most likely those processors will beat it out. But they aren't shabby. The benefit for a workstation user is the desktop "feels" smoother especially with a RAID 0 setup. I like the feel of my dual 2800+ MP system versus the FX-53 even though the FX-53 will beat the MP...but not by much.

Of course...1 GB of RAM helps.

Dual processor systems have more "towing power" but just because there are two processors doesn't mean that it has flat out dragstrip speed.
    edited September 2004
    Indeed, but as far as folding production is concerned two 2.2Ghz with HT should do some pretty good producing. Shouldn't it? Will WinXp Pro support all four proccessors??
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2004
    I have Dual 2.2 Xeon server w/HT on 2003 Server.
    They have been folding the p678_L939_K12M_355K tinkers lately, and the computer is averaging 215 points per day.

A Dual 3.2 Xeon server w/HT on 2003 Server folding the same p678_L939_K12M_355K wu is averaging 450 points per day.

It's better than a kick in the @ss with a wet boot. :D
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2004
    I have dual Xeon 2.2's w/ht for a desktop/workstation. They are the older 400FSB's but they have been pretty good folding producers since I built it 2 years ago.

If the system is working and everything is properlty configured I don't see how you couldn't be anytihng but happy with that rig.

Dual Xeons are nice, I really like mine alot and for desktop I will never run anything less than dual cpu's ever. Might not bench out the fastest but due to the exrta CPU handling the loads the system seems very smooth and stable.

GL,
    "g"