Stupid Morrowind

edited September 2004 in Gaming
I have Morrowind installed along with Tribunal and Bloodmoon and a few extras (adamantium armor pack, siege at Firemouth, Etc) and I've updated it to the latest version (heh, the newest patch is 2 years old or so) and I'm having crashing to the desktop problems.
I'll be playing along and things will be fine, sometimes for several hours on end sometimes for a few minutes and then suddenly I'll be looking at my desktop. No error reporting happening here either, it's just...gone.
Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with this game? I'm just wondering if it's a bug with the game or it doesn't play nice with XP or something because I've tried backing my OC down on the system and on my vid card to see if that helped and I'm still getting crashing.
No artifacts, never had that problem either just dropping out of the game.
Quick rundown of system specs...
P4 2.4C@3126, 260fsb 512Mb OCZ PC4300@260mhz cas 3-4-4-8, Antec True Blue 480w PSU, Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, Creative Labs Audigy Platinum with latest drivers, eVGA GeForce-6 6800@375core/810mem but it'll do 3D Mark '03@390core/830mem with no bad textures.
Vdimm is 2.86v, Vcore is 1.65v and Vagp is 1.6v the rest is pretty non-consequential as I doubt my optical drives or hard drives are the culprits here.
Any Ideas or indications that it's just a buggy game would be appreciated, at least I'll know to save more often. :banghead:

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Basically I'm just letting you know this is being read, I don't have your answers. I did play Morrowind, on an overclocked system with an overclocked 9700Pro, never had any issues that I can recall.

Best of luck with it Mat
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I never had the problem you describe with Morrowind either, but I played it on an AMD system with ATI graphics...
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2004
    I had that exact problem playing on both an AMD/ATI system and a P4/nVidia system, and frankly, I have no idea what causes those crashes. They are annoying as all hell though, especially when you haven't saved in a while. Kinda lose your excitement for playing when you lose 6 or so levels of play time :/

I've since learned to be paranoid with any quicksave key.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I know I'm gonna get flak for this, but here goes:

Have you tested your RAM lately? I was having similar problems (with a different game) and turned out I had bad stick of ram. It ONLY happened in this one game, so I thought it was the game. Turns out it was the RAM.

www.memtest.org
  • edited September 2004
    I haven't tested it yet, I was taking it as being good considering I got it from Omega and he assured me it was fine when he was running it at this same speed but I am using a different board so it's a possibility.
    I'll have to get memtest ISO again and make a new disk and see what happens.
    Funny thing is though that this is the only game with these issues...so far.
    I'll let you know what I find out.
  • edited September 2004
    Well, after 5 runs I got bored and stopped it and got no errors either. I know that I should let it run longer but generally I've found with this board that it'll start spewing errors right away if it is a memory problem so I think that it's OK. I'll probably run it some more after I turn in and let it pull a few hours to make certain though.
    Thanks for the help though guys and thinking back I had this game on my Barton system too and it had the same problems...it came with my 9600PRO so who knows, I might just have a squirrelly copy.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Why install the patch for the game? You say the last patch is 2 years old, which I find hard to believe becuase there are expansions way younger then that. Plus it seems you have a couple expansions installed... does the patch you installed fix the original game, or is it for the expansions?

What I am _thinking_ is that you installed a patch that is older than the expansions, which USUALLY the expansions will update you game while being installed. So, basically, by installing the patch, you may have messed something up?
  • edited September 2004
    I installed the latest patch for Bloodmoon and it was pretty old, might've been '03 but still there's nothing newer than that.
    The Bloodmoon patch fixes Tribunal as well as Morrowind.
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Maybe it was those "Extra's"?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    Creep wrote:
    Maybe it was those "Extra's"?
    except the extras are official add-in's, i cant imagine they'd release some cool new features without noticing they're crashing the game for some people. I had this same problem though, just learn to quicksave a LOT
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    except the extras are official add-in's, i cant imagine they'd release some cool new features without noticing they're crashing the game for some people. I had this same problem though, just learn to quicksave a LOT

The thing is... they don't notice. They have a limited set of machines they can test on.
  • Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited September 2004
    i have a cracked verson of the game an have a friend who has a legit copy and we both have this problem.. i have a P4 intel graphics an his machine is AMD/Gforce. I may be going out ona limb here but im thinking the game has a memory leak somewhere because hitman 2 is the exact same way
  • edited September 2004
    Hitman 2 plays just fine on here, I just have problems with Morrowind. All my games are legit as well...I have run them with patched exe's to stop swapping out cds from time to time but lately I just keep a 30 cd spindle loaded with play disks and sort out the one I need from there, it seems that patched exe's tend to be a bit buggy anyways.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited September 2004
    I was always curious if this game is any fun. I don't know anyone locally who had played it, so I am reassured to see at least 5 or 6 here playing it. Am I correct in assuming that it is a FPS/RPG mix? You can go along on quests but you aren't necessarily going for bodycount records?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    For the most part, that's true. However, it's not so much an FPS, as a 'do whatever you want' type of game. You can play it like an FPS, if you decide to specialize your character in one of the shooting weapons, but you'd miss a LOT of the world's depth.
  • edited September 2004
    It's mainly a quest based RPG, you're on the road to be named defender of Morrowind basically, it just doesn't feature turn based battle.
    You get attacked and you hit the fire button to attack back but whether you hit or not is dependent upon your skill and your attributes although you're too busy dodging and hitting back to worry about all that. All in all it's a fun game. Mine's just a bit buggy but I've just started hitting quicksave a lot more and things are working out ok.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited September 2004
    AAAh. Thanks_ I may get it as I can buy it used at a local EB for about $15 CDN...
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2004
    it has to do with your codecs that u have installed, morrowind sometimes gets confused on which codec to use for displaying monsters movements and trys to open them in another program.read the forums on the website, i had a problem simmilar, it would minimize my game then open a big black box that is was attempting to open the movments in. try adjusting/uninstalling/reinstalling sme of ur video codecs

this helped me
    http://support.bethsoft.com/asp/resolution.asp?sid=174032040830024004254250&pid=1101&pnm=Morrowind&seid=2198&pos=Windows+XP&top=Error+Messages&rid=17372