A strange thing...

edited September 2004 in Folding@Home
Recently, my computer has started making a strange "claxon" sound. A friend of mine said it most likely could be traced to a program I had just recently installed...turns out, through a process of elmination, that it is my folding software. I am using Folding@Home Version 5.02

Are there any other programs out there?? or any solutions??

Rosie

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2004
    What kind of sound? FAH doesnt make any noise. The noise it could cause would be from a Variable fan going faster because your CPU is at full speed.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Could be a temp. alarm ?

What kind of computer do you have? Some specs would be helpful.

If we can get some temp and voltage monitoring software on there I bet we can figure it out.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    What kind of sound? FAH doesnt make any noise.

Oh yes it can.
    http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20489&highlight=buzz
  • edited September 2004
    Yeah, EMIII can and will make sounds when it thinks that something is wrong, unless you turn off the sounds in EMIII.
  • edited September 2004
    I am running a pentium 4 on an abit motherboard. I have three fans going plus one on the processor...my husband thinks is must be a temp thing..he is going to pull the machine apart to take a look at it this week..

Thanks!
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited September 2004
    I am running a pentium 4 on an abit motherboard. I have three fans going plus one on the processor...my husband thinks is must be a temp thing..he is going to pull the machine apart to take a look at it this week..

Thanks!
    I would start by just disconnecting a fan at a time. One of my boxes was clanking and I thought a hard drive was going or gone. Actually it was this main box I am on now and I have the side off and the bad fan is still disconnected. I would think a fan or heat sensor before anything else. Jack