F@H Crashing?

croc_croc_ New
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
After installing and running F@H for a few days, I have noticed it locking up my system. It has happened 3 times now. One time it locked up and I rebooted w/ reset, and it booted up with all these strange artifacts all over the screen. I checked the temps. and they were all a bit high, but nowhere near shutoff temp (60c), they were all around 50c.

I am running a Shuttle SN41G2 (Barton 2500) with 2 hard drives and a radeon 9700pro ..... there is a good amount of heat goin on in there, 45c at low load, 48-50c at high loads. Do you think its the heat, or something else?

Comments

• croc_croc_ New
    edited August 2003
    oh btw, 3 WU's already wooo hooo :P
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    are you OCed at all?? if yes, back down the OC or add more voltage, but more voltage priobably won't be a good idea since your temps are bit on the high end already, not that high, but high when considered with OC.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Is the system overclocked? If is is drop down a step or 2 and see if you are still losing WU's.

---edit---
    Crap, leishi85 beat me while I was typing :D
    ---edit---
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited August 2003
    Hmm I wouldn't dare OC this little guy, hes too hot as it is ... being it has only one fan, and one heatsink/heatpipe thing .... I'm debating whether or not to rig up a fan in the front to blow air through the harddrive tray (since i have no floppy drive)

here is an old picture of it.

crocbox.jpg
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2003
    if i had to guess, i would say that your overloading your PSU, drawing too much power. after all, you are using 200w to power a cpu running at full load along with a gig of ram...
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited August 2003
    true.

well I set the cpu usage slider down some more .... maybe it wont lockup anymore. *crosses fingers*
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Yeah I dont think 200W is enough to run 2 HDDs and all the rest. I wouldnt dare on a desktop with all those components.