Hard Drive going?

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited December 2010 in Hardware
I have had my computer for over 4 years, and with the way technology is now-a-days, most stuff isn't made to last that long. My hard drive has always been loud, so loud that I can hear it across the house. But at random times it will get around 2x louder than normal (as I'm typing this its much louder), and it is starting to get annoying. I downloaded a few .wav files that demonstrated what a dieing hard drive sounds like, and this is similar to one (the file was called cycleclick.wav, but it doesn't "stall" when clicking something, just the background noise). In the four years that I have had this computer, I have not done one upgrade to any hardware, due to my lack of knowledge of it. It is a 6.96GB hard drive. Since this started, I have been deleting any unneeded files to possibly reduce stress on the hard drive, but the problem still persists. Can someone tell me what's wrong? (I can upload the file I downloaded if you want to hear it)

Also, I'm not sure if this is related to the loudness, but a few minutes ago someone IMed me on MSN with a link (which I know was not malicious in any way). At that time, I was also reading posts here at Short Media. When I clicked the link, IExplore and MSN Messenger stopped responding. Upon clicking CTRL ALT DEL, I noticed that my Hexidecimal-To-Text converter was running twice, although I haven't used it in the past few hours. When I went to click End Task, a blue screen came up that said it was trying to read from a floppy disk (I did not have a floppy in at the time). I clicked Cancel, but the screen was just black with the Internet Explorer Status Bar at the bottom. I clicked CTRL ALT DEL again, and my computer gave me another blue screen, which said the system had become unstable. Finally, I decided to just reboot.

Does anyone know what's wrong with my computer?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    What brand of hard drive do you have?
  • edited October 2004
    If your hard drive is that old and it's starting to make different noises from what it used to, then I think it would be prudent to change it out before you lose some critical data. It could very well be getting ready to puke on you. If you know the brand of drive it is, then go download their diagnostic program and run it on the hard drive to test it's integrity.
    edited October 2004
    That's what I was getting at. If you tell us the name of the manufacturer, I can give you a link to their diagnostic tool so you can tell definitively if it is bad or not. However, I totally agree with mudd.... get a new hard drive NOW - don't screw around with the chance that you could lose everything.
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited October 2004
    I don't know what brand of hard drive it is. Someone told me to look in System Information, but there is nothing in there about my hard drive. How do I check?

Also, they don't sell 6.96GB hard drives anymore, do they? In my overclocking thread, I was told that to get a bigger hard drive I'd have to get a new motherboard, which alltogether would cost hundred(s) of dollars.
    edited October 2004
    What OS are you using? You should be able to find out by going into computer properties and then device manager, and going to "disk drives" and properties for that...

Or you can usually tell in your BIOS, while the computer is booting up it will say something like MAXTOR 6EHY004 or WD 200JB, etc.

What kind of computer do you have? Do you know what motherboard you have? Only ANCIENT computers can't support anything larger than 8.4gb HDs. Chances are, with a BIOS update, you can support up to a 120gb drive. Four years is indeed old, but not THAT old.
    edited October 2004
    I'm using Windows ME. I did what you said, and found something, I don't know if it's the manufacturer:

GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01

That's all htere is for properties on the hard drive.

Also, when booting, that screen just pops up for a second, too fast to read what it says.

I have an eMachines Etower 566i2, and I don't know what kind of motherboard I have. How would I go about upgrading the BIOS?
  • edited October 2004
    For upgrading the bios (if an update is available), go to emachine's website and see if there are any updates for your model. As far as a new drive is concerned, you can get an 80 gig Western Digital JB (8 meg cache) drive for around $65 at Newegg. If your machine can't natively support that size drive, then you should be able to download some software from Western Digital's site that will let your machine use the drive to full capacity.

EDIT: Here is Western Digital's download page .
    edited October 2004
    I looked on eMachines' web site for you, and found nothing useful. If I remember correctly, that generation of eMachine had a "trigem" hard drive - total no name brand that has no support available for it.

I'll tell you what. I have a Promise FastTrack 100 raid controller. It's a PCI card. You can plug that into your motherboard, hook a new drive up to that, and it will support up to 120gb drive and be faster than your onboard controller. I'll give it to you. When you get it, we can explain how to hook it all up, ghost your stuff over, and in the end it will be faster. If that sounds good to you, PM me your address and I'll get this thing in the mail tomorrow.
    edited October 2004
    Sorry, I don't buy anything online. Even though I have been posting here for over a month now, and know you are a respected mod, I don't give out my address or other info to anyone. With all the crawlers and crap on the Internet these days, its just not safe anymore.
    edited October 2004
    I'm not talking about selling it to you - i'm talking about giving it to you, as in a gift...... :-/
  • edited October 2004
    If he doesn't want it, give it to me as a gift.

I'll come and pick it up myself!
    edited October 2004
    :rolleyes:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited October 2004
    <font color="red">*tinfoil hat alert...........</font>
  • edited December 2010
    I have never posted here but your answers and ¨where to get help¨impress me. Of course, anything you wish to send my way would be greatly appreciated. :D

I am not new to computers but no very little about the inside works.
    I have followed many comments here and on other forums that sound like my problem. First, computer is a Toshiba Laptop.. Satellite A205 I think, I am not on it now. Problems arose first with flash cards, it drove me nuts till some guy said to cut them off and I did. The sorry they don´t work message comes up when I boot.

In the last few weeks, the screen become lined with patterned collors and blinks and flits. Usually black is the main color then sometimes red or yellow. Occasionally only yellow but it looks like a radiator. little squares jumping.

I am hearing first, connect it to an outside monitor. Ok, I can do that.
    If it does it, it is not the Screen itself. omg. Then, you and others have posted things that tell me I can check the drivers from other places like IBM since Toshiba does not do that... I copied all that stuff, thanks.

Usually it is when I first boot. OR it happens if the machine goes to sleep. Now that is the first I have heard of this problem from anyone.
    Machine goes into sleep mode... I go to turn it on, hold it down nicely and up comes a screen filled with the black blinking horizontal stuff. However, if I was alseep myself, it might have gone into that mode before it went into sleep mode. Thus, I am just brining it back up.

I have had to manually turn off the computer many times and I hate that but it won´t go away with tiime or buttons or anything. It just sits and goes ¨dumb¨

Any more advice. I am disabled, a sr. citizen and on a tiny income, the computer is my lifeline. Its only 3 1-2 years old. My high school class gave me money to partially buy this when my pc was stolen four years ago. How can I fix it without high cost?

Thank you. HOP
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Hop, this sounds like an issue with your graphics chip. You should also create your own thread and copy-paste your post into it, rather than posting in a 6 year old thread. Post a new thread and I'll respond there.