SM9 needs a new home!

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
seversphere has decided he must unfortunately give up hosting of SM9. He's been a truly awesome host - we will sorely miss him in that capacity and hope he will be able to re-enter the hosting scene some time in the future.

Now, we have business at hand. Brothers and sisters of Short-Media, a rig must have a new home! Step up and become the new host of SM9!

Let's not forget the great roster we had for the reassignment of SM15, either! :cool:
These are the requirements to be selected as an SMx Host. Please note that these requirements are subject to revision.

1) Team member must be in good standing and have shown dedication to Team Short-Media and the Folding@Home project for the long haul. Past participation and contributions are taken into account.

2) The member must be able to provide the computer with a safe and secure environment for an extended period of time - this means an indeterminate period.

3) You must be knowledgeable in building computers and loading operating systems, and all that is entailed. In the event the rig should fail, the host is expected to make a good effort in trying to repair the rig and report to the team what is going on.

4) Dedicated, "always-on" Internet connection 24/7, 56K and up, and a free port on an existing network (we don't normally supply routers/hubs/switches with the SMx rig). If the internet connection should fail, the host is expected to make good faith efforts to get back online as soon as is possible.

5) The computer must run and "fold" 24/7. (Yes, the Team is generous enough to allow you to go on vacation and turn it off.) Keep in mind that 24-hour operating will increase your electricity bill by up to a few dollars per month. The Team expects the host to make good faith efforts to keep the rig running as much as is possible.

6) The computer shall fold for Team #93 under the user name of "SMx" exclusively unless it has been voted on to make it differently. The team will monitor the rig’s output through Stanford’s statistics.

7) In the event the host can no longer host the SMx rig or he/she is not able to run the rig for an extended period of time (due to things like being called to duty in the armed forces, for example) the team must be notified so that a new host can be found by normal host selection process.

8) What does the host get out of this? The pride of being able to host a SMx Folding rig, one of very few to earn this privilege. To be able to help Team Short-Media be the best team and the F@H project find cures.

9) Hosts must provide contact information such as phone number and address in case an emergency contact needs to be made.

10) Hosts must sign the hosting contract before the computer will be shipped to them.

11) New hosts must be 18 years of age or older.

Disclaimers:

1) All Team-donated parts that go into a SMx donated Folding@Home computer are property of the Short-Media.com Folding@Home Team.

2) Short-Media.com, and/or its owner(s), and/or administrator(s), and/or moderator(s), and/or member(s), shall not be held responsible or liable for any losses incurred either directly, or indirectly as a result of hosting any SMx rig. The host selected shall bear full responsibility for said rig. By applying to be selected as a host, you acknowledge you understand, agree with, and will abide by these rules as set forth here and as may be amended in the future as required.

Important Note:

This entire project and the rules set forth above is/are based on TRUST. We, the team, trust that you, the host, will do all you can to keep the rig folding as much as is possible, in its name, for the Short-Media.com Folding Team. You, the host, trust, that we, Team Short-Media, support you in every way we can.

Them's the qualifications! :D Good luck to everyone. Let's find this rig a new home quick! We'll leave this open for precisely one week from... NOW! :)

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    Yeah hopefully we can get a lot of those members who wanted SM15 back here signing up for SM9.

And you could have made that an actual annoucement on the front page.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2004
    I'll take it. :)

Count me in,
    By the way did SM15 find a home?

"g"
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    A big thanks goes out to Seversphere for being such a great host! The new host has some big shoes to fill.
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited October 2004
    I would like to add my name for consideration to the list of a New home for SM9

I have a 8 port lynksys Router at home. 24/7 cable connection to internet.
    Computer room is self contained, (Backup Power, Cooling System)
    I have extensive computer knowledge (being a computer Tech)
    I currently have 4 machines running the folding program,
    my wifes, 2 of mine at home and 1 at work right now.
    I am in the process of building another one,

I know I am new to the Folding Family here, and there are allot of others that have been here longer,
    I am truley dedicated to this, I just wanted to put in my Name..

Thank You
    :thumbsup:
    :smokin:
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited October 2004
    I can host another one if need. I have plenty of room
  • dancerdancer Blue Mountains, Australia
    edited October 2004
    Wouldn't mind hosting it. Shipping would be the prob though.
    edited October 2004
    OOooo we have some nice guys signing up for this one.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    gtghm wrote:
    By the way did SM15 find a home?
    Yes, it shall soon reside with mondi :)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2004
    Yes, it shall soon reside with mondi :)

Excellent, good to know its in a good home. :)

"g"
  • S_WilsonS_Wilson Meridian, ID
    edited October 2004
    bump
    edited October 2004
    Has anything been decided on this yet

just wondering.. and hoping

:thumbsup:
    edited October 2004
    Its still open to sign up.
    edited October 2004
    Already have it it up ^ there,,,,

still willing to donate my time and energy to help out this box find a home,,

would love your votes...

thank You
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    gtghm
    Lord_Night
    hotrodsun
    dancer

Anyone else?? :D
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2004
    wow those are 3 good names below me on that list. :)

I definately think it should go to someone who is not already hosting a rig if there is one, provided that they meet all the criteria of course. :)

But I will be more than happy to give another rig a home if needed. :)

Come on guys lets see some more names on that list. FAH is a great cause and hosting a rig is a great honor.

Fold on,
    "g"
    edited November 2004
    Ok we fell behind on this. Tomorrow sign-ups end to get in now if you want.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited November 2004
    I know I am not in consideration as I am in Oz
    But I have room next to my 43 other machines *GRIN*

;D

Happy to give this one friends to play with on my farm
    edited November 2004
    So it goes to one of these guys:

gtghm
    Lord_Night
    hotrodsun