How to change laptop screen brightness?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Hardware
Dell Latitude CPi-A366XT. I want to dim the screen (a lot!) for use in dark rooms. The Dell website says to use the Fn and up / down arrow keys, but they don't do anything. I tried looking in the Display categories, but couldn't find anything there that seemed like it would work either.

How can I significantly dim / brighten the monitor? The LCD monitor attached to the laptop.

IF the Fn and up/down arrow keys did work, should I be holding the arrow keys down steadily or tapping them repeatedly? Neither way made any changes.

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    hold the FN key as you tap the down arrow key
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Tried that. Many times. Didn't work.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    if you've got an ati card, in the display->advanced: color tab you can change it. i dunno about other manufacturers tho
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited October 2004
    I have a Toshiba laptop, but I had to download and install some software from their support site. I am sure Dell is pretty much the same.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    do you have a key that has a a sun with a arrow pointing up and another one that points down, above the normal set?

uselly is a different color too
  • edited January 2008
    Hi all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This is my first post here; just wanted to say hello and thanks a thousand times over. I just spent 45 minutes trying to figure out how to control the screen brightness on a 2-yr-old notebook that my brother-in-law salvaged from his IT department, and I found my answer here in 5 seconds from a 4-yr-old post!

ehJude<o:p></o:p>