Yes, you need another computer

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited October 2004 in Folding@Home
No, not you Jon and Sally, nor any of the rest of you with big numbers. But many of you newer folders, take note. There isn't that much between you and the big time.
I started out with a 900 T-Bird on a KT7. I added a KT7A with a 1.33 in order to get into, and stay in, the top 100 on the team and top 2000 over all.
Now I am running four boxes. That isn't very many. Three of them were built from used parts that I bought here. Even with cases, psu, video cards, hdds and optical drives I don't have $2k in all four boxes combined. Heck, two of them are in my basement on dial-up.
Now where was I, oh yea. I am now #33 here and almost 1,100 overall. You can do it too. Build the machines one at a time. Pick up some used parts, you don't really need a case for now. And start expanding your folding farm.

Now, when will I be able to get some A64 parts used......

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    great post, ed :)
  • KingFishKingFish
    takes notes
    edited October 2004
    takes notes
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2004
    edcentric wrote:
    No, not you Jon and Sally

Phewww.............you did have us worried enough NOT to want to read your thread. ;D

As Prime said:"Good post". You are right ofcourse. It takes very little to get an extra computer up and folding. Fancy cases are a luxury, not a "Must have".

If i remember correctly, didn't someone make one up out of a cardboard box? :D
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited October 2004
    Like Edcentric I started with just one machine,
    added my wifes to the mix the same day, built 1 more at home.
    out of spare parts laying around doing nothing,,, what better place to use em
    then added the one at work, am still working on letting my boss let me add the others.

and am building one more from parts around here as well.

I am now folding 4 machines, and will add the next one soon

I continue to move up the list, and see the other new folders hot on my heels.
    By january 1st 2005 I hope to be in the top 100,

let's show everyone out there that Team Short-Media means business

But I must admit something when I first found the web site, it was just to get my HJT log fixed, but the more I looked around and read the more I found this place to be real freindly, and was told about the folding program. I looked into it and read up on it well. Now this is a place I call home, visit it every day from home and from work. staying logged in at work all night even.
    I plan to stay here and continue to help in all I can do, and continue to build the team short-media points.
    edited October 2004
    Heck, you can go out and get $20 cases now. No excuse! Throw old parts in a cheapy case and you're well on your way to "farmer" status :D
  • edited October 2004
    Very good post ed. You don't need a case to house a motherboard, chip, ram, and hard drive. I have six ugly yet effective farm nodes sitting on cheap plastic shelves tucked underneath our embroidery machine. There is no monitor attached to them either. Everything is managed via pcanywhere. You can't get better processing power for the dollar. It was started with parts I had lying around and grew into something more. I'm sure with Jack (witenoiz) it was the same thing. I hate to see parts lying around gathering dust when it could be put to use in a beneficial manner. If people would take an inventory of their parts and see if it would be possible to throw together another box it would be a great kick in the pants for themselves, the team, and overall cause.

KF
    edited October 2004
    And remember, it doesn't take a fast processor to fold either. A significant portion of my farm is made up of P2s and P3s or Celerons, even. Anything 300mhz or up can fold. It will be slow, but if you add them up, they can become a formidable folding MEGATRON DEATH MACHINE :rarr:
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited October 2004
    Slot A mb and a 2500 cpu 100 bucks - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1105821&sku=MBM-K7VME-2500&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM773C

I'm down to 25 computers and I only have 5 cases - I just might get a few of these. ;D Ed - you inspire me! Jack :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2004
    I may talk to the dean at my college about getting some of the computers in the lab folding. I doubt it will happen, but I cant think of a reason not to ask.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    TSmj, talk to CSimon about running folding on a school lab. He might give you some tips/info that will help your cause.

I didn't expect many coments. I meant it as food for thought.
    This is a great bunch of people, and folding is a great project.
    I don't know how we move our output up to a new level, but a few computers hear and there will help keep us in the hunt.

In the mean time I am waiting for NF4 to come out. I am sure that some nice used NF3 mobos will become available then......
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I may talk to the dean at my college about getting some of the computers in the lab folding. I doubt it will happen, but I cant think of a reason not to ask.
    Hmmm ...it's tough to talk to a dean about those things. The only problem is that they are usually too preoccupied to "listen". If you can make an impact right off the bat that will make him understand the cause you're halfway there. The other concerns are usually interference - bandwidth - security - wear & tear. If he has any doubts you can refer to my farm as an example. I have had zero losses in the last 2+ years of folding 24/7 on the same lab and my contributions speak for themselves.

Offer to educate him on any aspect of the subject.

Good luck!
    ps: also consider bribary? ;D

csimon :fold:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    they can become a formidable folding MEGATRON DEATH MACHINE :rarr:
    I coulda sworn Megatron transformed into a Walther P-38 with "U.N.C.L.E." type configurations... :scratch:

Great post, ed! :D
  • comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
    edited October 2004
    If my brother hadn't soaked my 9800Pro in alcohol, I would've had enough parts to get another system up and running. :bawling: I'm now forced to use my backup mx440 as my display device.

If any of you know of any $10-20 video card (or cheaper) for sale (not auctioned,) let me know.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited October 2004
    Sounds eerily similar to the Weedo story. 'Cept for the 'hitting the bigtime' part.
    edcentric wrote:
    No, not you Jon and Sally, nor any of the rest of you with big numbers. But many of you newer folders, take note. There isn't that much between you and the big time.
    I started out with a 900 T-Bird on a KT7. I added a KT7A with a 1.33 in order to get into, and stay in, the top 100 on the team and top 2000 over all.
    Now I am running four boxes. That isn't very many. Three of them were built from used parts that I bought here. Even with cases, psu, video cards, hdds and optical drives I don't have $2k in all four boxes combined. Heck, two of them are in my basement on dial-up.
    Now where was I, oh yea. I am now #33 here and almost 1,100 overall. You can do it too. Build the machines one at a time. Pick up some used parts, you don't really need a case for now. And start expanding your folding farm.

Now, when will I be able to get some A64 parts used......
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2004
    Weedo wrote:
    Sounds eerily similar to the Weedo story. 'Cept for the 'hitting the bigtime' part.
    Bigtime? I got your "Bigtime" right here! :thumbsup::fold:
  • edited October 2004
    I've had similar experiences with folding myself. After blowing up a PSU on a machine sitting on top of a motherboard box I made the promise to myself that I would never run a machine without a proper case again :)

Just shows how addictive folding can be. Its not just that is fun getting more points than everyone else you are doing some good with it all too.

If you want that next upgrade so badly then install the f@h client and have a REAL reason to spend that cash.