Avi file - some sound, no picture

edited October 2004 in Internet & Media
hi guys,
I have a problem playing an AVI file. When i play it on VCL player, i could hear choppy sound, but the picture doesn't show. I've tried playing it on divx and it doesn't work. Plz help! :(

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2004
    Try the All In 1 Codec pack. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Codec packs spam your PC with unnecessary codecs that can cause conflicts.

You merely need XViD. Go to Koepi.org and download the file from the second news entry (XviD-1.0.2-29082004.exe (621kb)). It should play.
  • edited October 2004
    I downloaded and installed XViD from koepi.org. I dont really know how to use it. The other avi files i have now play on windows media player, but this one is still not displaying the video. Maybe there is a problem in the file. I also installed all in 1 codec pack, but no luck with that either.
    is there anything else i could try?

thanks alot guys!
  • comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
    edited October 2004
    If it's an .avi file, you could probably use Gspot to identify which codecs it requires. More Info
    edited October 2004
    Have you considered the possibility that your file may be corrupt? You can add codecs all day long, but they won't fix a bad download. Is it only one particular file giving you trouble? Or have you had problems with several files from separate sources?

If the file itself is sound there will be a way to make it play. Answer the above questions and we'll take it from there. :)
  • edited October 2004
    Yes, i have considered that this file is corrupted for two reasons: 1.) i got it from kazaa 2.) it is the only avi file that doesn't work. It is just this file thats giving me trouble. But if there is sound, why is there no picture? :scratch:
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited October 2004
    Analyse the file and see exactly the codec it uses using g-spot or another tool that identifies the codecs used by that avi

Often Coecs conflict with each other - people load codec upon codec onto thewir system not realising that various ones will conflic with others and make a particular stream type fail
    edited October 2004
    NewGuy wrote:
    Yes, i have considered that this file is corrupted for two reasons: 1.) i got it from kazaa 2.) it is the only avi file that doesn't work. It is just this file thats giving me trouble. But if there is sound, why is there no picture? :scratch:

An AVI file is what's called a "Container format." A container format is a file that holds (Primarily) audio and video in a single file. There are multiple types of AVI containers, but the one most often used for AVI files have separate audio and video streams lumped together with synchronization information scattered throughout the structure of the file.

The audio stream can be intact, while the video can be broken.
    edited October 2004
    tcith wrote:
    Analyse the file and see exactly the codec it uses using g-spot
    Thrax is going to have to go a ways to top this.

I'm rooting for the G-Spot, myself.

(No dog in this fight)
    edited October 2004
    I'm rooting for gspot too. :)

Though there's only a slim few codecs that work in the AVI package, and I guesstimate a less than 1% chance that something beyond DiVX/XViD in an AVI container made it onto Kazaa. Which, without beating around the bush, leads me to conclude that it's DiVX or XViD with a b0rked stream.
  • edited October 2004
    Hello again,
    I downloaded GSpot221.exe. In the "file" section, it said "This is, or appears to be an unsupported filetype ... GSpot believes the filetype to be 'Non-AVI File - Type Unkown".

Also, in the "DirectShow render - status" section, it said "DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following cobinations of filters were used:

C:\Program Files\ ~ [Audio Source]
    MPEG-l Stream Splitter [Audio Pre-processor]
    MPEG Layer-3 Decoder [Adio Decoder]
    Default DirectSound Device [Audio Renderer]

Also in the "DirectShow Render - Audio Src" section it said "MPEGLAYER3 (MP3) (0x0055)" The "video path" was blank, but in the "audio path" it said "(S) --> MPEG-I Stream Splitter --> MPEG Layer-3 Decoder --> (R)"

In all the other sections it mostly said "n.a"

I really dont know which specific info is important, so i just provided you with all the information.

thanks again for the help! :thumbsup:
    edited October 2004
    Everything points to a working MP3 stream, and a broken video stream. If GSpot can't identify it, it's probably broken.
  • edited October 2004
    well, thanks for the help anyways. :thumbsup: